Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

stroia
Staff
Staff

What do you think of the new forums?

We are excited to offer this new way to connect with AMD experts.  The intent is to make it easier for you to get answers to your questions, track discussions that you are interested in and connect with people that can help you, or that you can help.  Let us know what you think.

Tags (1)
66 Replies
sschuberth
Adept I

Re: What do you think of the new forums?

To be honest, I find the new forums quite confusing. The whole structure seems very unclear and nested to me. And at first I was also confused that new and old forums seem to run in parallel. I guess I would have preferred if AMD had used a well-known / established forum software like phpBB or IP.Board instead of whatever is now used.

stroia
Staff
Staff

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate your candid response.  I expect you are not alone.  They will take some getting used to for sure since they are so much different from the standard phpBB forums that we all know and love.  We trust that with time and more use, you will enjoy these new forums.  We are keeping the old forums up temporarily to give everyone a chance to acclamate to the new forums ("Jive") platform, and redo your links as needed.  You will notice that on the main page of this forum devgurus.amd.com, you will find all of the same categories as were in the old forums and all of the content has been migrated over.  And the idea is that the correct answer will be easier to see at a glance, and you will be able to connect with people who are helpful.

We have created some learning aids, which can be found in the Getting Started area, and we would encourage you to use them to learn more about the capabilities within the new forums.  If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks again!

bingo88
Adept I

The new forum design is, well, I have to get used to it. However, there are some translation issues in the German language version (for example in the preferences screen the German equivalent for "On" is "An" and not "Am"). And I can't change some of my profile information like programming languages, country, state, name. At least I couldn't find any other place where I could change these information.

Marix
Adept II

Quite confusing, but I think the layout is something everyone will get used to. I really like answer rating system and the question marking system for threads. This is a huge step from the old forums. What I currently miss is some read/unread state so I know which threads updated since my last visit.

0 Likes
stroia
Staff
Staff

Thanks for bringing the translation issues to my attention.  I will see if I can get that fixed. 

Edit:  A ticket has been opened with Jive to correct the German translations.  In order to edit your programming language and such, you will need to go to developer.amd.com and edit your profile by clicking on the upper right hand corner "profile". 

0 Likes
thesmileman
Journeyman III

Can you please give an option to make the content wider? I have a 4k monitor and you are only using about 30% of the pixels. It takes forever to scroll through things like this even on my 1920x1200 the main bar is so skinny and with all the pictures and content on the left and right side it is very very skinny.

Also it is very bright but maybe there is a way to change that.

0 Likes
stroia
Staff
Staff

Glad to hear you like the rating system. 

Regarding the read/unread state.  You may find what you are looking for regarding the read/unread state in the "What Matters: Activity" area (see the icon of the running man at the top right).  This will show you everything new/unread from people in your "friends" list and in any thread that you have contributed to.

If you want to keep track of a thread without contributing to it, you can "track" the thread by clicking on the  "Track in Communications" in the right hand column of the thread you are interested in.  Then the unread responses will be recorded in your What Matters: Communications" (see the icon of the person with the thought bubble at the top right of the screen).

0 Likes
DimaNovikov
Journeyman III

The most funny thing I have found is that in my profile is written that I work in Aerospace and defence industry. Actually I have never worked there and what is even more funny, I have not found how to change this part of my profile.

0 Likes
Raistmer
Adept II

I think that new forums too heavy for my C-60 APU based netbook. Page updates too slow and it's annoying. Make it faster and more lightweight, please.

look nice, but slooow...

0 Likes