Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

esithole
Journeyman III

Victim Buffer Size on AMD Hardware

All,

I would like to know the size of the intermediate victim cache that sits between the L1 (D) and L2 caches for both the Athlon and Opteron hardware. I also would like to establish whether the L1 (I) has a separate victim came or it shares the victim buffer with L1 (D).

Thanks in advance for your help

0 Likes
6 Replies
esithole
Journeyman III

All,

Excuse the typo in my earlier query - below is the edited message I'm resending.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to know the size of the intermediate victim cache that sits between the L1 (D) and L2 caches for both the Athlon and Opteron hardware. I also would like to establish whether the L1 (I) has a separate victim cache or it shares the victim buffer with L1 (D).

Thanks in advance for your help

0 Likes

I think the only way to know it is to test you CPU(s) by yourself.

0 Likes
eduardoschardong
Journeyman III

IIRC this is in the optimization manual, it's 8 cache lines (1024 bytes), I'm not sure but I think this is for both I$ and D$.

0 Likes

Are VBs provided between L2 & L3 caches and between L3 cache & Sys memory? If so, what are respective sizes of the VBs?

0 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion - but if I can ask further, which procedure(s) exactly do I have to invoke in order to test the VB sizes on the K8 CPU architecture?

0 Likes