cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

leotreasure
Adept I

Vega Blender OpenCL split kernel not compiling

Running Blender 2.79 stable with debug-value 256 on Ubuntu 16.04.3 with amdgpu-pro-17.30-465504.

https://pastebin.com/raw/PFPiuL1d

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

0 Likes
7 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

Hi Leo,

Sorry for this late reply. Please share the steps to reproduce the issue.

Btw, may I assume that Blender is working fine for other opencl kernels?

Regards,

0 Likes

Hi Dipak,

Thanks for helping me on this. I got the card specifically to render in Blender and I don't wish to use Windows.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Install driver as specified here:

How-To Install/Uninstall AMD Radeon™ Software AMDGPU-PRO Driver for Linux® on an Ubuntu System

2. Run blender from terminal like this:

blender --debug-value 256

3. Change to Cycles mode

4. In the Render tab, scroll to bottom, expand Debug, Tick 'Split Kernel', under OpenCL flags for Kernel select 'Split', for Device select 'All'.

5. Open Blender User Preferences, System, Cycles compute device OpenCL - Vega 10 XT [Radeon RX Vega 64]  Save User Settings.

6. Render

0 Likes

Hi Leo,

Thanks for sharing the details. I've opened a ticket against the issue. Once I've any update, I'll get back to you.

Regards,

0 Likes

Update:

Our verification team was unable to reproduce the issue. Please make sure that ROCm component required for running OpenCL applications is installed correctly [i.e. installing “rocm-amdgpu-pro” and setting “LLVM_BIN” path].

Regards,

0 Likes

Hi Dipak,

I reinstalled Ubuntu 17.04 and just installed Rocm from the instructiona on GitHub and the split kernel worked!

However, when I switched to viewport preview, it didn’t work and Blender crashed.

Should I try also installing the 17.30 stack within the rocm kernel?

0 Likes

You don't require that AMDGPU RPO component on ROCm driver itself. You can try ROCm OpenCL runtime from here: GitHub - RadeonOpenCompute/ROCm-OpenCL-Runtime: ROCm OpenOpenCL Runtime . If you see any issue, please report to the same GitHub page.

0 Likes
leotreasure
Adept I

Btw, may I assume that Blender is working fine for other opencl kernels?

I'm afraid I don't know about other opencl kernels. The above method was the only way I could get the Blender User Preferences to see the card.

0 Likes