cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

diapolo
Adept I

vector comparison - how to?

I´m pretty sure this is (again) a very simple question for the advanced coders here, but it´s driving me nuts.

I want to compare to vectors and do sth. if they are equal.

Thanks for your help,

Dia

__kernel void test(__constant uint *passedInt4Arr, __global uint *out) { constant uint4* passedInt4Arr_vec4 = (__constant uint4*) passedInt4Arr; uint4 Vec4 = (uint4)(1, 2, 3, 4); // any way to do a direct vector comparison? compiler throws me errors if passedInt4Arr_vec4 == Vec4 is used if(passedInt4Arr_vec4[0].x == Vec4.x && passedInt4Arr_vec4[0].y == Vec4.y && passedInt4Arr_vec4[0].z == Vec4.z && passedInt4Arr_vec4[0].w == Vec4) { do_sth(); } }

0 Likes
7 Replies

This works for me in an internal build, does this fix your problem?

extern void do_sth(); __kernel void test(__constant uint *passedInt4Arr, __global uint *out) { constant uint4* passedInt4Arr_vec4 = (__constant uint4*) passedInt4Arr; uint4 Vec4 = (uint4)(1, 2, 3, 4); // any way to do a direct vector comparison? compiler throws me errors if passedInt4Arr_vec4 == Vec4 is used if(passedInt4Arr_vec4[0] == Vec4) { do_sth(); } }

0 Likes

Micah this doesn´t work for me, see the error, which I get from clBuildProgram (I only changed the var names to the example ones).

Any ideas? Using the latest Stream SDK with Cat 9.12 Hotfix (Catalyst_9.12_Hotfix_Win7_Vista_8.682.2RC1_Dec15.exe) on Win7 x64.

Dia

C:\Users\xyz\AppData\Local\Temp\OCLBF0E.tmp.cl(166): error: expression must have arithmetic, enum, or pointer type if(passedInt4Arr_vec4[0] == Vec4) ^

0 Likes

As the error message says, if condition requires the arguments to be arithmetic, enum, or pointer type.

You can use any() or all() function, if the resultant conditional expression is a vector.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: omkaranathan As the error message says, if condition requires the arguments to be arithmetic, enum, or pointer type.

You can use any() or all() function, if the resultant conditional expression is a vector.

I´m unsure if I got your point. I want to compare 2 Vectors, if they are equal (all components are equal) I want to proceed in the if-statement.

OpenCL doc sais, that any() or all() test for sign bit, so could you give me a hint with some code?

Thanks,

Dia

Edit: And why works the direct comparison for Micah, but not for me?

0 Likes

if(any(passedInt4Arr_vec4[0] == Vec4)) should work fine.

0 Likes

Thanks omkaranathan,

Your code works and it´s even a bit faster than a AND linked component-comparison, nice . I read somewhere, that one should avoid control flow (if-Statements), is there any way to achieve that check I do, but faster?

Dia

0 Likes

Originally posted by: diapolo Thanks omkaranathan,

Your code works and it´s even a bit faster than a AND linked component-comparison, nice . I read somewhere, that one should avoid control flow (if-Statements), is there any way to achieve that check I do, but faster?

Dia

diapolo,

It is not possible to check condition without control instructions(if, switch, do, while and for).  Any flow control instruction can significantly affect the instruction throughput by casuing threads of the same wavefront to diverge i.e to follow different execution paths.

0 Likes