Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Raistmer
Adept II

v1.1 and still no support for Vista?

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

• Microsoft® Windows 7® (32 or 64-bit) or Microsoft® Windows 8® (32 or 64-bit)
  • Linux®:
    • Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® 64-bit 6.*
    • Ubuntu® 64-bit 12.04 or later
  • Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2010 or 2012 (applies to Microsoft® Visual Studio® Plugin Only)
  • The latest AMD Catalyst driver

What so differs in Vista that AMD can make drivers suitable for both Vista and Win7, but can't make CodeXL for it ?

0 Likes
5 Replies
dorono
Staff

Hi Raistmer,

Like so many things, this is a question of effort vs. expected outcome.

To support Vista requires that we limit CodeXL internals to use only Microsoft interfaces available on Vista, and that we allocate resources to vet CodeXL functionality on Vista running on a variety of hardware configurations.

Resources are always limited and you have to choose what to do with them. Given the diminishing usage of Vista as a development platform, we chose to invest in support of more popular platforms and in the development of new features, rather than Vista support.

As I detailed in my answer to your other post, you can install CodeXL 1.1 on Vista, but functionality on this platform is not guaranteed and we do not plan to fix any Vista-specific issues that may arise.

0 Likes

Thanks.

Anyway it's a good news. My so big interest to Vista comes from inability to install prev CodeXL release on C-60 based netbook with Win7 x64. Being inable to install it on Vista too I was not able to use CodeXL at all.

Maybe this new release will install correctly on netbook too. If not I will make separate thread about this.

0 Likes

Hi, any planes to add C++AMP support?

0 Likes

Hi,

C++ AMP support is definitely on our list of features we'd like to add. I can't discuss dates but we hope to get this into CodeXL in a future version.

Something relatively interesting to note / inquire about in this particular sub-topic: under the covers of the (neat) library magic, C++ AMP decays into a reasonably straightforward DirectX application. Therefore, in theory, one should be able to gather at least performance counter data from it either via CodeXL or via GPUPerfAPI (albeit the latter hasn't been updated in ages). In practice, both approaches fail, with CodeXL's capture layer dying somewhere in d3d11ref.dll. The question is, is AMP doing something special that throws your D3D capture infrastructure off? Note that PerfStudio seems equally incapable of profiling apps that use C++ AMP, whereas the now discontinued APP Profiler could at least grab the HLSL...sometimes.

0 Likes