cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Utilising the gpu in a headless envrionment

Is there any way to have OpenCL run in a terminal (ubuntu server 14.04) but still use the gpu to compute processes?

I want to use the gpu, aswell as the cpu, for programming but I don't want to install a windowed environment on the machine, can anyone help?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Mark is right. As per installer doc, the minimum system requirements to install the driver include X components (e.g. XFree86 version 4.1.X, 4.2.X, 4.3.X, or XOrg version 6.8.X or higher). It also says: "If you have multiple version of X Window System installed on your computer the installer will try to detect the default X, and install the driver for the detected version".

However, driver installation can be done from X Window System by running the graphical installer, or from the console mode by running the text mode installer. In both cases, installation process is similar.

Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

Hi Carlos,

I am unable to follow your question. Could you please be more explicit?

Thanks,

0 Likes

I want to install an OpenCL development environment on a ubuntu 14.04 server machine. I can install OpenCL fine without and develop with the cpu, but to utilize the gpu aswell I understand I need to install the catalyst driver.

To install the Catalyst driver I need a windowed environment (x11 etc)?

Is there a way to develop with the gpu aswell as the cpu without putting the window stuff onto the machine (as it takes up alot of space on the system and I don't really need it otherwise)?

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for clarification. I'll discuss with the installation team and get back to you.

Regards,

0 Likes
mkohler
Adept I

The conclusion of this thread, from February 2013, is that it is possible to run without a monitor, but you must install X.

ioctl permissions on Linux

Mark

0 Likes

Thank you...

0 Likes

Mark is right. As per installer doc, the minimum system requirements to install the driver include X components (e.g. XFree86 version 4.1.X, 4.2.X, 4.3.X, or XOrg version 6.8.X or higher). It also says: "If you have multiple version of X Window System installed on your computer the installer will try to detect the default X, and install the driver for the detected version".

However, driver installation can be done from X Window System by running the graphical installer, or from the console mode by running the text mode installer. In both cases, installation process is similar.

Regards,

0 Likes

Thanks for the help guys and sorry for the late reply, this was in relation to me trying to get OpenCL on an embedded system I'm working on.

0 Likes

Hello Carlos,

We are working on this feature at the moment. We wantt to remove depencies on X for OpenCL.

Benjamin

0 Likes