cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

richi
Journeyman III

Using Multiple GPUs in a OpenCL program

I have a PC with 2 R4870 video cards running in Linux. Using pyOpenCL, I can run a program in either GPU, but when I try to run 2 simultaneous kernels (one in each card), it seems that in order to the second queued kernel to run, the first one queued must be finished. I'm expecting that I can queue 2 instances of the same kernel, one in each GPU, and that the total running time should be roughly  the same as if I run only one instance, but this is not happening. I have tried using a clFlush after queuing each kernel, but the running time still the same.

Is it possible to use both (multiple) GPUS simultaneously in OpenCL? How can this be done?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
24 Replies
n0thing
Journeyman III

Right now multiple-GPU or CPU+GPU doesn't work on AMD's implementation.

It just returns a CL_COMPLETE execution status after clFlush command.

0 Likes
nou
Exemplar

i do not think so. smallluxGPU work well on multi-GPU and CPU+GPU. but it use one context per device.

0 Likes
ebfe
Journeyman III

Pyrit also uses seperate contexts and queues for all GPUs. Its a bug in AMD's implementation.

Also see http://forums.amd.com/devforum/messageview.cfm?catid=390&threadid=128846&enterthread=y

0 Likes
nou
Exemplar

ok developer of smallluxgpu reported that second GPU return wrong result when is crossfire enabled. try disable crossfire maybe it will help.

0 Likes
richi
Journeyman III

I have tried using two context and two queue (one per GPU), also using one context and two queues (also one per GPU), but the result is all ways the same, the kernels are not executed simultaneously. Is there any example of how this could be done? I'm using pyOpenCL, can this be a pyOpenCL bug? Or maybe I have a configuration problem in my PC? Is there any example on how multiGPU servers are being used?

0 Likes
richi
Journeyman III

nou, I dont have crossfire enabled.

0 Likes
nou
Exemplar

well there is maybe problem with that OpenCL is quite lazy. if you queue some work it did not begin execute. so IMHO it works like this

enqueu first GPU
enqueu second GPU
clFinish(queue1) //begin execution on first GPU. second is lazy and did not execute.
clFinish(queue2)//now it begin execute on GPU two

so try after enqueu call clFlush() (after that it should begin execute but not block calling thread) or better call it from different threads.

0 Likes
n0thing
Journeyman III

OP has already tried clFlush and gets the same results as before. The command is currently blocking the calling thread as I mentioned above.

0 Likes
nou
Exemplar

oh. so then you must use multiple threads.

0 Likes