cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

jchapman
Journeyman III

Using 4850/4870 for computation with non-4870 gpu for display

Can I use a 4850 based board strictly for computation while another board handles display?

This doesn't seem to be in the FAQ.

I want to get my feet wet in stream computing and a 4850/4870 based board seems like a good start while keeping the budget modest. My question is can I install it into a motherboard that has another display controller - say a motherboard with AMD690/790 on board graphics - and use the 4850 strictly for computation and the other processor strictly for display?

Does the SDK facilitate this? I assume I would have to stop Windows/Linux from grabbing the 4850 as a second display? Or do I let the OS grab it but just be access it for computation?

I suppose another way of putting this is:

1. If I use a 4850 for computation will it play nice with other series boards that are used for the primary display controller? and

2. In the proposed scenario will it play nice with any other recent AMD based graphics controller or would it have to be another 4850, or otherwise be restricted in some way?

0 Likes
1 Reply

I believe the 4850 will work with other AMD-ATI GPUs. There have been reports of issues between the AMD-ATI drivers and NVIDIA drivers, though so you are best off sticking to another AMD-ATI GPU. Likely the system would capture the 4850 for display still, but just continue using it as a compute device.

Michael.
0 Likes