Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

mahanagarjuna
Journeyman III

Unable to install CodeSleuth plugin

Hi,
I tried the steps to install CodeSleuth from the following page: http://developer.amd.com/tools...uth/Pages/default.aspx.
But Eclipse is unable to install it and giving the following error:
Network connection problems encountered during search.
Unable to access "http://developer.amd.com/codesleuth_1_0_0".
Error parsing site stream. [Premature end of file.]
Premature end of file.
Error parsing site stream. [Premature end of file.]
Premature end of file.

Can any help me?

regards,
Nagarjuna
0 Likes
23 Replies
gfrostamd
Staff

Nagarjuna,

I just updated successfully from the site. Maybe we can try to diagnose where the issue is.

Is it possible that you are behind a firewall?
If so consider updating the proxy in eclipse
(Windows->Preference..->General->Network Connections)

If you open the following URLs in your browser do you get content returned?

http://developer.amd.com/codesleuth_1_0_0/site.xml (this should return xml content to your browser)

http://developer.amd.com/codesleuth_1_0_0/features/codesleuthfeature_1.0.0.jar (this should cause your browser to download a jar file <1Mb)

http://developer.amd.com/codesleuth_1_0_0/plugins/com.amd.javalabs.codesleuth_1.0.0.jar (this should cause your browser to download a jar file <1Mb)

Also can you confirm that you are running eclipse using a 1.6 compatible JRE? CodeSleuth's plugin uses some 1.6 features and therefore Eclipse must be run with a 1.6 compatible JVM.

This response is provided for informational purposes only, is provided "AS IS" and does not obligate AMD to provide any of the services, technology, or programs described.
0 Likes
mahanagarjuna
Journeyman III

Thanks for the help.
I was under wrong impression that, I already configured my proxy connection.

regards,
Nagarjuna.
0 Likes

Hi!

I was able to install the plugin sucessfully however how do i use it?
There is not documentation and i can find no way to access the plugin from within eclipse. (I use eclipse 3.3, JDK 1.6 and installed AMD CodeAnalyst 2.76).

So what should i do?
Any help appreciated,
ToM
0 Likes
gfrostamd
Staff

Tom,

I just saw your post at the sourceforge project.

Can you check your eclipse log files. If CodeSlueth had installed correctly, then 'Help'->'Help Contents' should indeed contain 'CodeSleuth User Guide'

Another way to validate the install is to check 'Window'->'Show View'->'Other...' to see if any of the CodeSleuth views are available.

If not we may need to look in the eclipse log.

One should confirm that your eclipse is being launched using a JRE/JDK 1.6 JVM. The plugin was compiled with this JVM and therefore will only run if eclipse is launched with 1.6. It is not enough to just set your compiler and eclipse project 'Run' JVM to 1.6.

-----
This response is provided for informational purposes only, is provided "AS IS" and does not obligate AMD to provide any of the services, technology, or programs described.
0 Likes

Hi gfrost,

thanks for your reply. I checked the Help and the Views (already after installation) but there is no code sleuth in there.
The only prove i have is if i check 'Help/SoftwareUpdates/Manage Configuration' - in there i can see the plugin and if i click 'Show properties/Status' its says 'The feature is configured properly'.

The install.log says:

!CONFIGURATION 1208330728792 Wed Apr 16 09:25:28 CEST 2008
!ACTIVITY 1208330725636 Apr 16, 2008 09:25:25.636 codesleuthfeature_1.0.0 feature-install success
!ACTIVITY 1208330728761 Apr 16, 2008 09:25:28.761 codesleuthfeature_1.0.0 feature-enable success

And the errror_recovery.log says:

LogEntry.0=START_INSTALL_LOG
LogEntry.1=FEATURE C:\Programme\eclipse3.3\features\codesleuthfeature_1.0.0\feature1208330728761.xml
LogEntry.2=ALL_FEATURES_INSTALLED
LogEntry.3=RENAME C:\Programme\eclipse3.3\features\codesleuthfeature_1.0.0\feature1208330728761.xml
LogEntry.4=END_INSTALL_LOG
eof=eof

But looks good to me...
ToM

PS. Java 1.6 is verified otherwise i couldn't select 1.6 as Project JDK
0 Likes
gfrostamd
Staff

I have a couple of follow up questions which we can determine from the 'Eclipse Configuration Details' which can be opened using

'Help'->'About Eclipse SDK'->'Configuration Details'

First look for a line beginning with

'-arch'

and confirm that the next line is

'x86'

Secondly can you verify that the line starting with
eclipse.vm=

References a jvm.dll in your 1.6 install

For example mine is
eclipse.vm=C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\client\jvm.dll

0 Likes

I verfied the parameters.

- arch = 'x86' (I am running a normal windows PC so its x86)
- eclipse.vm=C:\Programme\Java\jdk1.6.0_05\bin\..\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll

I found one strange thing though: If i search in the eclipse folder for codesleut only one directory is returned:

...\eclipse3.3\features\codesleuthfeature_1.0.0 - which contains only one feature.xml and a meta.inf file. Shouldn't there be some codesleuth class files under the 'plugins' directory?

Regards,
ToM

PS: I removed codsleuth and install it again - no change
0 Likes
gfrostamd
Staff

Tom_1st

Yes, there certainly should be more (and a few classfiles ) under the install.

I will send a private message with contact/email/phone info so we can dig deeper.

Of course we can fold back anything we discover back to this forum, in case anyone is reading along.
0 Likes

Hi gfrost,

i think the problem is with the Installation procedure.
I manually downloaded the plugin jar from here:

http://developer.amd.com/codes....codesleuth_1.0.0.jar

and copied it into the eclipse/plugin folder, restarted and everything was working.
The file was about 8 megs...

Regards,
ToM
0 Likes

I also had the same problem of the plugin not working until I manually downloaded the jar.  I am using Eclipse Galileo.

0 Likes
gfrostamd
Staff

Thanks for the update.

Glad you found a resolution. I wonder why the update failed? Is it possible that there was a firewall/net configuration that was blocking the file?

Anyway I will keep an ear/eye out for similar issues.
0 Likes

Hi,

yes we are using a proxy here, but i configured it correctly at 'Window\Preferences\Network Connections'

And for all other plugins that did the trick...
ToM
0 Likes

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem that Tom_1st described, but thanks to this thread, now Codesleuth works for me as well 😉

Steve

0 Likes

Same problem here. Looks like the update site is messed up

0 Likes

HTML clipboard

1. From inside the Eclipse IDE, select Help -> Software Updates -> Find And Install
  2. In the menu that opens, select "Search for new features to install"
  3. In the wizard window that launches, select the "New Remote Site" button
  4. Create a new update site using the following URL:
    http://developer.amd.com/codesleuth_1_0_0
  5. Follow the remaining prompts to install the plugin

Edit: Removed advertising from post

0 Likes

Hello,

I tried to install this plug-in today. I specified http://developer.amd.com/codesleuth_1_0_0 as source URL. Eclipse displayed 500 HTTP error.

I typed this URL into a browser - just to check what's happening. The following respose was returned (still 500 error):

The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred.

Does anybody know how to work around this and install the plug-in?

Thanks,

Dzmitry

0 Likes

Hi Dzmitry,

We've attempted to fix the problem.  Thank you for bringing it to our attention.  Can you please retry the download and install and let us know if it is working for you now?

thanks,

Stroia

0 Likes

Hi Stroia,

Now I'm able to install the plug-in, but it's unavailable in Eclipse. No new options have appeared in the Run/Debug menus. I use Eclipse 3.3.

Note in installation guide the plug-in's size is mentioned to be about 20MB. What was downloaded now is less than 200K.

Could it be that something is still misconfigured in the installation procedure?

Thanks for assistance.

Dzmitry

0 Likes

Dzmitry,

I just successfully reinstalled using Europa (eclipse 3.3x) so I think the site is working, let us try to determine what is happening with your install.

Can you check in your <eclipse-install-dir>/plugins directory and see if there is a file called com.amd.javalabs.codesleuth_1.0.0.jar

Also can we validated that there is also a <eclipse-install-dir>/features/codesleuth-feature_1.0.0

Also note that if there has been a hiccup in the install the I have had to completely uninstalled the previous 'failed' install and then start again.

Also can you check your log (this is in your <eclipse-workspace dir>/.metadata/ dir)

I did recently discover that there is an issue installing using 'Galileo' (3.5x) I am still trying to track this down.

0 Likes

Message content deleted to remove advertising

0 Likes

Hi gfrostamd,

I can see feature in my Eclipse install dir. However, there is no plug-in JAR file.

I de-installed the plug-in and tried once again - with same result. Also, there is nothing interesting in log file - neither success nor failure messages.

What could it be?

Thanks,

Dzmitry

-------

Well, some messages from eclipse\configuration\org.eclipse.update\install.log:

!CONFIGURATION 1247000024281 Tue Jul 07 23:53:44 EEST 2009
!ACTIVITY 1247000006296 ??? 07, 2009 23:53:26.296 codesleuthfeature_1.0.0 feature-install success
!ACTIVITY 1247000024234 ??? 07, 2009 23:53:44.234 codesleuthfeature_1.0.0 feature-enable success

!CONFIGURATION 1247158001453 Thu Jul 09 19:46:41 EEST 2009
!ACTIVITY 1247158001359 ??? 09, 2009 19:46:41.359 codesleuthfeature_1.0.0 feature-disable success

!CONFIGURATION 1247158036843 Thu Jul 09 19:47:16 EEST 2009
!ACTIVITY 1247158036718 ??? 09, 2009 19:47:16.718 codesleuthfeature_1.0.0 feature-remove success

!CONFIGURATION 1247158393265 Thu Jul 09 19:53:13 EEST 2009
!ACTIVITY 1247158389515 ??? 09, 2009 19:53:09.515 codesleuthfeature_1.0.0 feature-install success
!ACTIVITY 1247158393234 ??? 09, 2009 19:53:13.234 codesleuthfeature_1.0.0 feature-enable success

and from eclipse\configuration\org.eclipse.update\error_recovery.log:

LogEntry.0=START_INSTALL_LOG
LogEntry.1=FEATURE D:\Programs\eclipse\features\codesleuthfeature_1.0.0\feature1247158393203.xml
LogEntry.2=ALL_FEATURES_INSTALLED
LogEntry.3=RENAME D:\Programs\eclipse\features\codesleuthfeature_1.0.0\feature1247158393203.xml
LogEntry.4=END_INSTALL_LOG
eof=eof

0 Likes

Ok This is the problem that I have seen recently with Ganymede and Galileo.  This is the first Europa siting.  It looks like the feature is being downloaded but not the plugin jar.

I do not have a fix yet, but I do have a workaround.

Follow this url and drop the jar in your <eclipse-install>/plugins directory.

http://developer.amd.com/codesleuth_1_0_0/plugins/com.amd.javalabs.codesleuth_1.0.0.jar

Then restart eclipse.

You should then be good to go.

Sorry about this.  Thanks for the feedback. At least I have another datapoint for my diagnosis

Gary 

0 Likes

Thanks Gary. After manual putting of that JAR into eclipse CodeSleuth views are available. I didn't cope with getting any useful results from it yet though Probably, need to study manual first (or may be it's another issue with the plug-in).

Dzmitry

0 Likes