cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

mark_mclarnon
Journeyman III

Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit and 2 x 5970

I have been experimenting with the stream SDK on a machine running Ubuntu 10.04 desktop and with 2 H5970 cards installed. I am unable to get FindNumDevices to return more than 1 or CLInfo to return more than 2 devices (one CPU and 1 GPU).  I am beginning to wonder if the combination of OS + ATI Driver + SDK does not support 2 GPU. Here are the specific details:

OS - Ubuntu Desktop 10.04 64-bit

SDK Package - ati-stream-sdk-v2.1-lnx64.tgz

Catalyst Driver Package - ati-driver-installer-10-6-x86.x86_64.run

Monitor(s) - 1

I believe I am following the Catalyst driver installation properly mostly due to the fact that the Catalyst Control Center appears in the X menu after installation. Building the SDK at this point is simple, just cd-ing into the SDK directory and typing 'make' will build without error. The next step is where I think I might be fouling up. I know that I have to use the aticonfig command after installation of the driver. I see conflicting reports on this forum on the exact syntax to use:

aticonfig --initial

aticonfig --adapter=all initial

aticonfig --adapter=all initial -f

The first version of aticonfig doesn't seem to help me much. When I move over to the SDK samples, this is when FindNumDevices reports a single device and CLInfo reports 2 devices, the CPU and a single GPU device. Although technically this is a working state, it doesn't take full advantage of the hardware. This is why I researched finding the other syntax.

The second and third options seem to actually corrupt X.org because when I reboot, the display is screwy and I am unable to do anything (save for SSH login where the samples report no devices). I even use the environment variable change EXPORT DISPLAY=:0 but this doesn't help either. I can restore the display to the last know working state by rebooting the box with the Ubuntu installer disc and copying a previous version of the xorg.conf back over top of the modified one.

Here is some output snippets of the sample programs, first FindNumDevices:

user@ubuntu:/usr/src/ati-stream-sdk-v2.1-lnx64/samples/cal/bin/x86_64$ sudo ./FindNumDevices [sudo] password for user: Supported CAL Runtime Version: 1.3.185 Found CAL Runtime Version: 1.4.636 Use -? for help CAL initialized. Finding out number of devices :- Device Count = 1 CAL shutdown successful.   Press enter to exit...

and now CLInfo:
root@ubuntu:/usr/src/ati-stream-sdk-v2.1-lnx64/samples/opencl/bin/x86_64# ./CLInfo Number of platforms: 1 Platform Profile: FULL_PROFILE Platform Version: OpenCL 1.0 ATI-Stream-v2.1 (145) Platform Name: ATI Stream Platform Vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Platform Extensions: cl_khr_icd     Platform Name: ATI Stream Number of devices: 2 Device Type: CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU Device ID: 4098 Max compute units: 12 Max work items dimensions: 3 Max work items[0]: 1024 Max work items[1]: 1024 Max work items[2]: 1024 Max work group size: 1024 Preferred vector width char: 16 Preferred vector width short: 8 Preferred vector width int: 4 Preferred vector width long: 2 Preferred vector width float: 4 Preferred vector width double: 0 Max clock frequency: 1600Mhz Address bits: 64 Max memory allocation: 1073741824 Image support: No Max size of kernel argument: 4096 Alignment (bits) of base address: 1024 Minimum alignment (bytes) for any datatype: 128 Single precision floating point capability Denorms: Yes Quiet NaNs: Yes Round to nearest even: Yes Round to zero: No Round to +ve and infinity: No IEEE754-2008 fused multiply-add: No Cache type: Read/Write Cache line size: 0 Cache size: 0 Global memory size: 3221225472 Constant buffer size: 65536 Max number of constant args: 8 Local memory type: Global Local memory size: 32768 Profiling timer resolution: 1 Device endianess: Little Available: Yes Compiler available: Yes Execution capabilities: Execute OpenCL kernels: Yes Execute native function: No Queue properties: Out-of-Order: No Profiling : Yes Platform ID: 0x7f8e76df8228 Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 980 @ 3.33GHz Vendor: GenuineIntel Driver version: 1.1 Profile: FULL_PROFILE Version: OpenCL 1.0 ATI-Stream-v2.1 (145) Extensions: cl_khr_icd cl_amd_fp64 cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_int64_base_atomics cl_khr_int64_extended_atomics cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_gl_sharing cl_ext_device_fission cl_amd_device_attribute_query cl_amd_printf Device Type: CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU Device ID: 4098 Max compute units: 20 Max work items dimensions: 3 Max work items[0]: 256 Max work items[1]: 256 Max work items[2]: 256 Max work group size: 256 Preferred vector width char: 16 Preferred vector width short: 8 Preferred vector width int: 4 Preferred vector width long: 2 Preferred vector width float: 4 Preferred vector width double: 0 Max clock frequency: 725Mhz Address bits: 32 Max memory allocation: 268435456 Image support: Yes Max number of images read arguments: 128 Max number of images write arguments: 8 Max image 2D width: 8192 Max image 2D height: 8192 Max image 3D width: 2048 Max image 3D height: 2048 Max image 3D depth: 2048 Max samplers within kernel: 16 Max size of kernel argument: 1024 Alignment (bits) of base address: 32768 Minimum alignment (bytes) for any datatype: 128 Single precision floating point capability Denorms: No Quiet NaNs: Yes Round to nearest even: Yes Round to zero: No Round to +ve and infinity: No IEEE754-2008 fused multiply-add: No Cache type: None Cache line size: 0 Cache size: 0 Global memory size: 268435456 Constant buffer size: 65536 Max number of constant args: 8 Local memory type: Scratchpad Local memory size: 32768 Profiling timer resolution: 1 Device endianess: Little Available: Yes Compiler available: Yes Execution capabilities: Execute OpenCL kernels: Yes Execute native function: No Queue properties: Out-of-Order: No Profiling : Yes Platform ID: 0x7f8e76df8228 Name: Cypress Vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Driver version: CAL 1.4.696 Profile: FULL_PROFILE Version: OpenCL 1.0 ATI-Stream-v2.1 (145) Extensions: cl_khr_icd cl_amd_fp64 cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_gl_sharing cl_amd_device_attribute_query cl_amd_media_ops  
and finally aticonfig --lsa
root@ubuntu:/usr/src/ati-stream-sdk-v2.1-lnx64/samples/opencl/bin/x86_64# aticonfig --lsa * 0. 05:00.0 ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series 1. 06:00.0 ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series 2. 09:00.0 ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series 3. 0a:00.0 ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series

* - Default adapter 

Does anyone else out there run a similar setup? I would imagine this setup is possible but perhaps I am wrong. Any suggestions? Downgrade Ubuntu?

- MM

0 Likes
2 Replies
dominik_g
Journeyman III

I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 with 2 5970s. I'm using the 10.3 Catalyst driver and it works fine.

When you look at the 10.6 driver release notes it tells you that you shouldn't use them for OpenCL apps, because they haven't been tested for OpenCL conformance. Try using an older driver (e.g. 10.3) and see if that works.

0 Likes

run aticonfig --initial --adapter=all

then before EVERY start X server you must delete /dev/vga_arbiter

http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1828

0 Likes