Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

jamesyjhu
Journeyman III

Support for OpenGL/Directx interoperability

Hi,

Do either of the Brook+ or CAL SDKs support interoperability with DirectX or OpenGL?

I know that the old BrookGPU allowed some sort of interoperability if you were using either the DirectX or OpenGL as the backend. Also looking at Nvidia's CUDA SDK it seems that they have pretty good support for DirectX and OpenGL as well. But looking through the Brook+ and CAL programming guides, I didn't see any mention of anyway to interact with the OpenGL or DX drivers. Can someone confirm this?

0 Likes
5 Replies
rahulgarg
Adept II

Well look at calExtSupported and CAL_EXT_D3D9, CAL_EXT_OPENGL etc in cal platform spec ?

edit : Dont know how they interoperate though .. I am not from a graphics background. One of the AMD personnel may be able to help you better.
0 Likes

Thanks rahulgarg for pointing that out. From the looks of the platform spec document and the cal headers, I would guess D3D9, D3D10 and OpenGL interoperability is something that's still not implemented yet. Is this going to be something that will be implemented soon (since it's already been mentioned in the document) or is this something that will have to wait for some time?

0 Likes

Hi James,

DX and OpenGL interoperability are coming in future releases. We'll be putting it in CAL first and then punching it through to Brook+ after that.

Michael.
0 Likes

thanks michael. Good to know!

0 Likes

Hi,

well OpenGL interoperability would very helpfull.

For exmaple now I can simulate fluids on GPU without transfering big stream to CPU.

To visualize them some data still need to be copied to CPU and snded then back via OpenGL.

This is of course waste of resourses.

To be able to creating Textures with Brook+ or CAL should solve this problem.

0 Likes