cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

dishwara
Journeyman III

Suggest Feature you want in AMD APP

Mother board MSI Big Bang Marshal , CPU Intel core i-5 2400, 3.1 Ghz, 2nd generation, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit OS, Catalyst 11.3, 11.4, 11.5 & even tried with 11.6 & included APP from 2.3 to 2.4.

4 nos.of MSI R6970 graphics card.

2 nos.of ASUS EAH5870 graphics card

1 no. of Sapphire HD 5870.

I connected all the 7 cards with extender cables like many others.

slot 1,2,4,5,6,8 with 1x extender & slot 3 & 7 with 16x extender.

same works fine in Linux, but not in Windows.

Miners works even 1x & also it doesn't need much memory & bandwidth.

All Bitcoin miners, more than 5000 users using AMD/ATI cards only as it gives better integer calculation than Nvidia's CUDA.

If you look this site, it will help much.

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=19038

Thank you,

Dishwara

0 Likes
dishwara
Journeyman III

Any workaraound for windows to work with 8 GPU's in OpenCL? 

0 Likes
GPGPU_enthusiast
Journeyman III

I also confirm the demand for the support of more than 8 GPUs in Linux or at the very least also 8 GPUs under Windows.

I don't know if it is overly hard to implement, but I doubt that you would need to change a huge pile of your source code for that.

0 Likes
settle
Challenger

Originally posted by: d.a.a.
Originally posted by: Meteorhead

Free fglrx from the clutches of Xserver. Proper 5970/6990 support functioning as two independant devices

+1

Proper 5970/6990 support functioning as one unified device similar to how my Dell T5500 Workstation with dual socket Xeon E5630s show up as a single device of CL_DEVICE_CPU_TYPE +2

0 Likes
rick_weber
Adept II

Originally posted by: laobrasuca bubu, they've already worked the suggestion no 1 out

2. Pointers to buffers (or similar thing). I want to be able to treat hundreds or thousands of buffers with a single kernel call. This is maybe not an SDK problem, but more generally an OpenCL spec problem. If you can fight for it on the OpenCL committee with Khronos I would send you flowers

You can already do this. Just allocate a massive buffer called heap, create your own malloc function that runs in kernels using global atomics, and do everything as integer offsets into this buffer. You can then store the integer offsets wherever and index into the heap array in later kernels.

Pointers are just integer offsets from address zero 😉

0 Likes
laobrasuca
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: rick.weber

You can already do this. Just allocate a massive buffer called heap, create your own malloc function that runs in kernels using global atomics, and do everything as integer offsets into this buffer. You can then store the integer offsets wherever and index into the heap array in later kernels.

Pointers are just integer offsets from address zero 😉

the point is that I need to have several different buffers, they are created/erased at will and one of the reasons for that is to control the amount of VRAM used. So what u describe is not a solution for me. I do really need more flexibility in this sense. Is the "opencL doesn't support pointer-to-pointer as input parameter" more like a conceptual thing? Hope support will be given sometime soon.

0 Likes
rick_weber
Adept II

It's not a conceptual thing, but a real limitation. I know AMD GPU hardware can remap the pointers passed to a kernel by a cl_mem object between kernel calls. You can verify this by taking the pointer in a kernel, casting it to an int and saving it, then casting back to a pointer in a later kernel. You will not get the correct results. I still don't quite see why my solution won't work other than it's ugly; to make a pointer of pointers, just malloc an array of ints, each of which indexes into the heap.

0 Likes
MicahVillmow
Staff
Staff

raghu,
No, this chip will never be supported. It is based on the RV620 chipset which does not have the required features to support OpenCL.
0 Likes
laobrasuca
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: rick.weber It's not a conceptual thing, but a real limitation. I know AMD GPU hardware can remap the pointers passed to a kernel by a cl_mem object between kernel calls. You can verify this by taking the pointer in a kernel, casting it to an int and saving it, then casting back to a pointer in a later kernel. You will not get the correct results.

so, can I create a bunch of cl_mem buffers (say, to store float values), create an int array on the host side with these addresses, pass it as kennel argument and, inside the kernel, access the data using something like:

__kernel test ( int *clbuffer_addresses)

{

float buffer_1_element_9 = *(clbuffer_addresses[1] + 9);

// or, i don't know

float buffer_1_element_9 = *(clbuffer_addresses[1] + 9*sizeof(float));

}

since clbuffer_addresses[1] represents the address of a buffer in the VRAM heap and 9 or  9*sizeof(float) the offset in this heap? Or things are more complicated than that? Does clbuffer_addresses[1] represent an address in the VRAM heap anyways? Or it's a pre-address that will be translated (at some point) to the actual address?

. I still don't quite see why my solution won't work other than it's ugly; to make a pointer of pointers, just malloc an array of ints, each of which indexes into the heap.

From what I understood, your solution would require to allocate a big and fixed space on the VRAM, at least the maximum amount of space I would require. I'm not telling that this would not work, I'm just saying that this would consume more VRAM than what I would need in some circumstances. Sometimes I need hundreds of buffers and sometimes only a few, and it changes in the application runtime, I can not predetermine the amount of buffers required as it depends on different parameters which change as the user interact. Controlling VRAM usage is my priority, that's why I can't keep unused space into VRAM.

0 Likes
settle
Challenger

Originally posted by: settle
Originally posted by: d.a.a.
Originally posted by: Meteorhead

Free fglrx from the clutches of Xserver. Proper 5970/6990 support functioning as two independant devices

+1

Proper 5970/6990 support functioning as one unified device similar to how my Dell T5500 Workstation with dual socket Xeon E5630s show up as a single device of CL_DEVICE_CPU_TYPE

+2

Also, if and when AMD makes Opteron APUs, please make a multi-socket system visible as a single CPU device and a single GPU device.  If you can do it for the CPUs then it seems not too far fetched to request this for the GPUs as well.  Thanks!

0 Likes