Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Suggest Feature you want in AMD APP

dragonxi4amd,

I guess this needs to get through khronos first. So this post is more benificial at khronos forums. 

0 Likes
laobrasuca
Journeyman III

I've one more suggestion. It concerns the Profiling plug-in for MS Visual Studio. More precisely, the stream session list tool-bar. It would really be nice if we could be able to delete ONLY ONE of the listed sessions instead of ALL! Or, it would be nice if we could select several lists holding the crtl bottom and erase all selected sessions. A second thing: i'd love to change the name of the session. Session1, 2, 3... is not really easy to follow when you have lots of sessions listed. It would be nice to have something like a right-click over the session name to bring up a panel option with rename, delete, save, ... By the way, a save option where we could group several session lists (using crtl, for example), and all the sessions would be saved in a same excel alike file in different sheets would be a nice touch too.

... not really a big deal, but would be very handy

0 Likes
Meteorhead
Challenger

I will not be the heretic to copy-paste the feature-list of the new CUDA SDK 4.0, but let me post a link for those who are really curious.

CUDA 4.0 RC SDK

Some have been mentioneBut any, or things very similar, but anyhow, let me list the most useful ones that could be 'easily' implemented in OpenCL:

Share GPUs across multiple threads

Use all GPUs in the system concurrently from a single host thread

C++ new/delete and support for virtual functions

Thrust library of templated performance primitives such as sort, reduce, etc.

Unified Virtual Addressing

I do not know if Virtual Addressing means access of other device's memory or allowing the creation of memory objects larger than VRAM, but I'll definately find that out.

I know some features cannot be implemented becuase of limitations of OpenCL C99 language, but most I believe are not impossible. These new funcionalities alone are great leaps toward better usebility, but alltogether... I'm sure we would all welcome similar great leaps for APP SDK 2.4.

I was suprised to see GWS was not amidts the new features, although Fermi is stated to be GWS-capable and it is an eagerly anticipated feature on the green side of the force also.

My intention with the post was not advertising, just to show that pressure is great, and serious features are required to keep up the pace of the competitors. (Intel with AVX instruction set support for CPU compilation)

0 Likes
Starglider
Adept I

Originally posted by: Meteorhead I will not be the heretic to copy-paste the feature-list of the new CUDA SDK 4.0, but let me post a link for those who are really curious.

The direct GPU->GPU memcopy, without having to go through host memory is awesome. However this feature would be useless in OpenCL without having reliable, performant multi-GPU support first! This is yet more motivation to switch back to CUDA as the app I am working on would benefit significantly from GPU->GPU DMA.

0 Likes
barnescj
Journeyman III

Is there any information (or rumors?) on what is currently planned for v2.4?  Also, what is the intended release date?

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes
Meteorhead
Challenger

Opening a topic for this single post is unnecessary, and forum moderators should feel free to delete it once read (and hopefully conveyed to the higher-ups that are aimed).

This topic has shown really nice how greatly new features are anticipated and how badly people want to use OpenCL in the most varying fields of computing (starting from HPC research through video processing up to game development). Current SDK developers do not have the resources to implement all these features in a reasonable amount of time, neither do they have the time to cope with even just half of it. At the pace at which features are implemented at the moment (which is very impressive, I never would've thought OpenCL would develop this fast), it would take at least 2 years until all of this is introduced into the API.

Not to mention some functionalities require serious driver alterations also. Anyhow, I would suggest to reallocate (or hire) developers to be able to satisfy the great interest in using AMD HW for serious stuff. I believe the main setback of OCL compared to CUDA is robustness. OCL is not stable enough to safely develop enterprise software that is truly cross-vendor and cross-platform.

Anyhow, if you find this reply is too far away from the intention of this topic, feel free to moderate it out. (But conveying the idea would be nice)

Cheers,

Máté

0 Likes
nou
Exemplar

include output of CLInfo from all supported GPUs.

0 Likes
laobrasuca
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: nou include output of CLInfo from all supported GPUs.

and correct the "bug" of the current CLInfo implementation, where if opencl 1.1 macro is defined, all the opencl 1.0 platforms will crash because some info are not available. it should first verify the opencl version of the platform (when you have more than one) instead of assuming that all platforms have the same opencl version.

0 Likes
omion
Journeyman III

One more vote for simultaneous computation and buffer copy. It would really help hide the latency of some high-throughput kernels.

Thanks for starting this thread! It's good to know the devs want community input.
0 Likes
genaganna
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: laobrasuca
Originally posted by: nou include output of CLInfo from all supported GPUs.

and correct the "bug" of the current CLInfo implementation, where if opencl 1.1 macro is defined, all the opencl 1.0 platforms will crash because some info are not available. it should first verify the opencl version of the platform (when you have more than one) instead of assuming that all platforms have the same opencl version.

This has been fixed already.  CLInfo info will not crash in OpenCL 1.0 platform. Instead it will exit with error message.

0 Likes