cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

FrodoTheGiant
Journeyman III

Stream Profiler: Support for Cayman (6970) - WHEN?

Hi there,

executing sprofile-x64.exe gives me this error message:

"Radeon HD6900 series(Cayman)  is not supported right now."

Question: When will the 6970 be supported?

cheers,

F.

0 Likes
20 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Are you using SDK 2.3? In the release notes it is mentioned that north islands series is supported.

0 Likes

Yes, 2.3.

I tried to profile the sample FFT application provided by AMD in the "AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing Math Libraries" on my 6970 under Windows7 x64.

But I got this error message: "Radeon HD6900 series(Cayman) is not supported right now."

0 Likes

The driver support for performance counters for Radeon HD 6970 is being worked on.  Once the driver implementation has been completed, the tool (Stream Profiler) will support it.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: bpurnomo The driver support for performance counters for Radeon HD 6970 is being worked on.  Once the driver implementation has been completed, the tool (Stream Profiler) will support it.

So the release notes are wrong?!?! Because himanshu.gautam said "Are you using SDK 2.3? In the release notes it is mentioned that north islands series is supported."

0 Likes

Frodo,

Stream SDK supports NI series as mentioned in the release notes.

I hope you are able to run opencl codes on it. But profiling requires driver support for the performance counters of North Island GPU.Once implemented I think profiling will also be enabled.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: himanshu.gautam  Stream SDK supports NI series as mentioned in the release notes.

My initial posting was about "sprofile-x64.exe".

Correct answer would have been: No, it's not supported for 6950/6970. Even with newest SDK 2.3 it's not supported.

0 Likes

As far as I understand bpurnomo's comment, the Stream Profiler itself already supports the North Islands series, but there's something in the Catalyst drivers missing. Once new Catalyst drivers add the missing piece, the Stream Profiler will automatically start to work, without needing an update.

At least that's my interpretation of the situation.

0 Likes

Once new Catalyst drivers add the missing piece, the Stream Profiler will automatically start to work, without needing an update.

When will this drivers be available.

0 Likes
Alice_Sunny
Journeyman III

there's something in the Catalyst drivers missing
0 Likes

Originally posted by: Alice_Sunny there's something in the Catalyst drivers missing

Yes we already know that ... since about two weeks now.

So my question was: When will new drivers (that include the stuff that makes the profiler work) be available?

0 Likes

Generally AMD releases a Catalyst driver each month. But i have no information whether the performance counters for caymen will be added to it or not.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: FrodoTheGiant
Originally posted by: Alice_Sunny there's something in the Catalyst drivers missing

Yes we already know that ... since about two weeks now.

So my question was: When will new drivers (that include the stuff that makes the profiler work) be available?

my impression is that Alice_Sunny is a SPAM-bot

0 Likes

Any updates on this? It's been more than two months now.

Please, provide an ETA at least.

0 Likes

erdemchi,

Can you provide your system details(CPUmGPU,SDK,Catalyst,OS) for record.  

0 Likes

Sure.

Intel E8400, HD6950, Windows 7(32). Using Catalyst 11.2 and APP SDK 2.3.

Thanks

0 Likes

erdemchi,

The Profiler seems to be working fine for that configuration with our internal driver & SDK. So you can expect them to be working with the new release.

0 Likes

Thanks for the update! Though we have switched over to competitor's hardware as of last week

0 Likes

I'm using Win7 x64 and VisualStudio 2008 with SDK 2.3 and a HD6950. The profiler doesn't work with Catalyst 11.2 and Catalyst 11.4 preview... If I switch back to my HD5770 everything runs fine.

0 Likes

michael.burger,

Please try AMD APP SDK 2.4 and latest driver.

0 Likes

With Catalyst 11.3 and SDK 2.4 it works with HD6950 also.

0 Likes