cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

ekondis
Adept II

Status of OpenCL 2.0 SDK and reference manual?

Initially the updated APP SDK was expected this summer. Is this still the case? Current APP programming guide is too outdated! No information is included about Bonaire and later GPUs and Sea islands or Volcanic Islands architectures. Not to mention the Kaveri APU.

Please improve your software support so the heterogeneous computing adoption becomes wider.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Elias,

Thank you for your patience.  As mentioned in http://devgurus.amd.com/thread/169648, a Beta version of the APP SDK will be available soon.   In the meantime, you can check out the blogs and sample OpenCL 2.0 code we have made available at the above link.  The samples can also be tested against the provisional OpenCL 2.0 driver (same link as provided by Thomas -- thanks Thomas!).

The updated user guide will also be made available with the Beta APP SDK.  Be sure to provide your feedback on the user guide (I will start a separate thread on the AMD OpenCL User Guide after the updated guide is released) so that it can continue to provide useful and up-to-date information to OpenCL developers the world across.

--Prasad

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
pinform
Staff

Yes, the APP SDK is still expected this summer. 

We are updating the APP programming guide to include information about not only the architectures you mentioned but also OpenCL 2.0. 

0 Likes

Thank you for providing information.

0 Likes

Unfortunately, this summer is gone by far and no further announcement has been made. Please provide some reliable info on the subject.

0 Likes

There's now a provisional OpenCL 2.0 driver: AMD OpenCL 2.0 Driver

0 Likes

Yes, I'm already aware of it but the released driver definitely needs some fixes. I've already reported a performance bug regarding the workgroup functions in Evaluating workgroup reductions in OpenCL 2.0. Workgroup functions (e.g. reductions) seem to perform slower than using local memory which eliminates the advantage of their use. Workgroup functions should expose the implicit use of swizzle operations on wavefronts and therefore they should be more efficient.

0 Likes

Hi Elias,

Thank you for your patience.  As mentioned in http://devgurus.amd.com/thread/169648, a Beta version of the APP SDK will be available soon.   In the meantime, you can check out the blogs and sample OpenCL 2.0 code we have made available at the above link.  The samples can also be tested against the provisional OpenCL 2.0 driver (same link as provided by Thomas -- thanks Thomas!).

The updated user guide will also be made available with the Beta APP SDK.  Be sure to provide your feedback on the user guide (I will start a separate thread on the AMD OpenCL User Guide after the updated guide is released) so that it can continue to provide useful and up-to-date information to OpenCL developers the world across.

--Prasad

0 Likes

Thank you for your response. I'm already following the updates of the OpenCL 2.0 samples and they look promising.

I'm willing to provide feedback on the OpenCL user guide when it will be released. I just hope it will be taken into consideration for future updates.

Elias

0 Likes