Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

afo
Adept I

SDK 2.4 multiGPU in 2xHD5970

SDK 2.4 seems to work for multiGPU.

Hi,

This is just to share some insights about using SDK 2.4 for multiGPU.

System:

msi 790FX-GD70, AMD Phenom II 945, 4 GB RAM, OpenSuse 11.2 x86_64, SDK 2.4, catalyst 11.3, 2xHD5970

There is an improvement over SDK 2.3, now 3/4 instances of the same application using different GPUs don't have a drop in performance respect to 1/2 instances.

When I tried 4 instances of the application running in parallel the machine hanged; but the problem was that a 1000W PSU was not enought for the system; using a 700W PSU for the second card solved the problem, so OpenCL multiGPU seems to work, at least for one thread, one context, one GPU, and each context having its own buffers, kernels, etc.

best regards,

Alfonso

0 Likes
5 Replies
Meteorhead
Challenger

This has worked previously, as far as I was concerned. My config has 3xHD5970, and the issue to the abysmal scaling of the application was the setting of the environmental variable GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1 . In my certain application even the results were correct. I used MPI for multi-threading.

0 Likes

Hi,

I wasn't so lucky...

With SDK 2.3 and even using GPU_SYNX_OBJECTS=1; I had a drop of performance of around 1.5x in the 3rd and 4th GPUs, so I thought that could be helpful to show that this was solved for me...

http://forums.amd.com/devforum/messageview.cfm?catid=390&threadid=143851&STARTPAGE=2&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

best regards,

Alfonso

0 Likes

afo what method do you use? single context for all devices or context per device?

0 Likes

Hi,

There are 4 instances of the same application that receive the number of GPU to use as a parameter.

Each instance generates one context for its GPU and one set of buffers, kernels, events, etc; there is no sharing between the instances.

best regards,

Alfonso

0 Likes

Hi afo, me too! I can confirm that SDK 2.4 works for 3x HD6990 on Ubuntu 10.10 with drv 11.3 x85_64

0 Likes