Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Archives Discussions

sharky
Journeyman III

SB700 register documentation?

Hi,

sorry if this is not the appropriate forum. Feel free to redirect me elsewhere.

I'm a coreboot developer (free x86(-64) BIOS replacement) and the availability of public documentation on the SB600 and the RS690 has helped improve and maintain the 690/SB600 code in coreboot. We coreboot developers maintain a list of public AMD processor/chipset programming documentation here: http://www.coreboot.org/AMD_Public_Documents

Thanks for these docs!

Unfortunately, mainboards with 690/SB600 chipset are increasingly hard to get, so I'm investigating how much effort it would be to update the SB600 code in coreboot to support SB700/SB710/SB750.

Is there a release of the following docs planned (I don't know the exact names)? <edit>Creative googling turned up some document numbers</edit>

• AMD SB700 RRG (Register Reference Guide) #43009
  • AMD SB700 RPR (Register Programming Requirements) #42413
  • AMD SB700 BDG (BIOS Developer's Guide) #43366

Same question applies to RX780/RD780 (#43291, #43451, #43734), but I don't want to overwhelm you with requests. πŸ˜‰

There are quite a few coreboot developers (including me) standing by waiting for docs to immediately support popular desktop/server mainboards.

Thanks for any info on the topic.

Regards,

sharky

Tags (1)
0 Likes
23 Replies
avk
Adept III

I hope that those documents sooner or later will appear on AMD site, when somebody at AMD will wake up after the winter hibernation .

Hey AMD, wake up! It's been long time ago (one year!) when those chipsets were released and still there is no open information about them!

0 Likes
stroia
Staff
Staff

I've sent a request to our tech docs teams.  There are several cases where AMD decides not to release older documents.  To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what those reasons are, but I'm working to get you an answer.  In the past we have requested older documents to be released to the public and we come to find out the old doucment references technology that was carried through to today's products and is still confidential.  I'm not sure if that is the case here, but I will hopefully find out soon.

0 Likes
sharky
Journeyman III

Thank you!

0 Likes
stroia
Staff
Staff

Hi Sharky, I have good news.  The SB700 documentation has been ok'd to be prepared for public distribution for purposes of enabling the open-source community.  The bad news is I don't know how long it will take.  The SB engineering team needs to go through the NDA document and determine what stays and what goes.  If/when I get new info about these docs I'll post it here.

0 Likes
sharky
Journeyman III

Hi Stroia,

thank you for the quick followup and the great news!

If the SB engineering team wants to compare the to-be-reviewed SB700 docs with public SB600 docs to speed up their review (stuff which didn't change from SB600 probably won't need another review if it is already part of the public SB600 docs), here are the AMD publication numbers for the public SB600 docs: #42119, #46155, #46156, #46157. And here is the link to these docs: http://www.amd.com/us-en/ConnectivitySolutions/ProductInformation/0,,50_2330_15872,00.html

I'm very happy that the SB engineering team is going through the SB700 docs to prepare them for release. If possible, please pass on my "thank you" note to them.

Best regards,

sharky

P.S. This is why I recommend AMD. You take us developers seriously and strive to make us happy.

0 Likes
tabu5
Journeyman III

Yes off course

You just wait and watch.

0 Likes
ibenia
Journeyman III

Thanks for the links to the doc's I was in search for it.

0 Likes
sharky
Journeyman III

Hi stroia,

did you get any information about when the SB700 docs will be released? Any status update would be appreciated.

Regards,

sharky

0 Likes
stroia
Staff
Staff

Hi Sharky,

I asked for a status update on this last month and the people needed to review it were consumed with the SB800 review.  I put another status update request in today.  Hopefully we get better news this time.  I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for your patience,

stroia

0 Likes