cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

gsteri1
Journeyman III

Running Stream Apps remotely

I did reboot. Will try again and let you know.

-Greg

0 Likes
herrmann
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: michael.chu

There is a project going on in parallel to look into get rid of this necessity, but for the time being, this trick is what I use on the machine sitting in my office. 🙂

Hi Micheel,

can you give any updates about the state of mentioned project?

I would really like to use ATI Stream remotely, but the current way is a PITA, because I actually have to connect a monitor to the card as well, otherwise the system will not boot and I get a BIOS error message next time. This machine is not sitting in my office but in the server room...

Best regards.

0 Likes
thehighhat
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: herrmann
Originally posted by: michael.chu

There is a project going on in parallel to look into get rid of this necessity, but for the time being, this trick is what I use on the machine sitting in my office. 🙂

Hi Micheel,

can you give any updates about the state of mentioned project?

I would really like to use ATI Stream remotely, but the current way is a PITA, because I actually have to connect a monitor to the card as well, otherwise the system will not boot and I get a BIOS error message next time. This machine is not sitting in my office but in the server room...

Best regards.

Yes, I also am very interested in this project.  Being able to use the AMD hardware for stream computing on linux without any X or console dependencies would be a markedly powerful solution.  

Think large HPC deployment... the X server / console / attached monitor is a severe limitation.

0 Likes
herrmann
Journeyman III

bump

any news?

Will I really have to buy from the competitor to upgrade our HPC-cluster?!?

0 Likes
sorcerer
Journeyman III

bump

any news about an xserver-free solution?

0 Likes
omkaranathan
Journeyman III

Not yet. You need at-least one monitor.

0 Likes
sorcerer
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: omkaranathan Not yet. You need at-least one monitor.

Thank you.

That makes me curious about Tianhe-I, do they use a huge KVM switch or an (experimental) in-house hack (hardware/software)?

0 Likes
nou
Exemplar

you can make dummy dongle to simulate connected monitor.

on linux you do not need any dongle. just running Xserver. i tried it myself. i can boot my machine without any monitor and run OpenCL/CAL app.

0 Likes