Adept I

Running OpenCL Example on UBuntu 16.04.2 LTS + AMDGPUPRO + AMD APP SDK 3.0

Hello I am faced with a peculiar problem:

I have the following h/w configuration:

a.) AMD Kaveri APU + Radeon R9 270x GPU Card + 16GB ram + 1TB HDD

b.) OS is Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS

c.) GCC is 5.4

d.) Kernel is 4.8.0.53 generic

I have installed AMDGPUPRO 17.10 using the instructions given on the web page. I am able to run Phoronix tests correctly. When I run "clinfo", Both devices are also detected; The GPU is identified as PITCAIRN and CPU is identified as Kaveri. After this, I install APP SDK 3.0 in /opt. I reboot and try to run the samples from the samples/opencl folder.

Barring "Hello World", I am unable to run any example.

Whenever I am running an example (say FFT or PrefixSum), I get the following error

"CL_HOST_OUT_OF_MEMORY" at clCreateCommandQueue and the program exits. What could be the problem? As per the information given on websites; this graphics card is supported by AMDGPUPRO. Am I missing out something? Can someone please share some thoughts on this?

0 Likes
2 Replies
skn1975
Adept I

Let me answer this myself, but it would be nice if someone familiar with this can confirm.

I followed instructions listed out on this page:

PROBLEM RX 470 sapphire nitro plus on Ubuntu 16.04 Genoils/Ethermine — Ethereum Community Forum

And did the following:

export GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR=1

export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1

export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100

Then, I ran some examples and it worked. Some of them failed as the devices were not OpenCL 2.0 compliant but thats fine.

Is this the correct approach? Can someone please verify this?

0 Likes

Hi,

You've been whitelisted now.

Btw, R9 270x is not in the product compatibility list of AMDGPU PRO 17.10 (AMDGPU-PRO Driver for Linux Release Notes ), so not guarantee to work properly. Anyway, you've got a workaround though.

Regards,

0 Likes