cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

bviktor
Journeyman III

Rendering on FirePro W7000 without a monitor attached

Hi, we have an Intel server running Windows Server 2012 with a FirePro W7000 installed. All updates are applied and the driver is at the latest version (12.104.2).

The problem is, OpenGL is not exposed unless there's a monitor physically connected to the W7000. The instant I unplug the monitor, OpenGL is gone, so it seems I'm supposed to have a dummy monitor sitting there just for this. I find this requirement quite excessive given it's a rack server and this product is intended for server workloads.

I've tried to make a dummy plug on a DisplayPort to DVI adapter, but to no avail. The strange thing (dunno if matters) is that if I plug a DVI to RGB (VGA) adapter on top of the other adapter, I can't get even a signal on the monitor, only on the DVI one. That is,

DP -> DVI: works

DP -> DVI -> RGB: doesn't work

I've also read about this issue being addressed already in AMD drivers but apparently this is not the case with the W7000 yet.

Are you aware of any solution or workarounds?

0 Likes
1 Solution
chm
Staff
Staff

Hi,

you are right the OpenGL needs to have a display connected.

If you want to convert a DP to VGA you need to use active DP to VGA dongles. You will find a list of qualified dongles on AMD Eyefinity Technology - Recommended Adapters

If you use a DP to DVI you will have a digital signal (DVI-D) that cannot be converted to VGA by a passive DVI to VGA adapter.

Chris

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
chm
Staff
Staff

Hi,

you are right the OpenGL needs to have a display connected.

If you want to convert a DP to VGA you need to use active DP to VGA dongles. You will find a list of qualified dongles on AMD Eyefinity Technology - Recommended Adapters

If you use a DP to DVI you will have a digital signal (DVI-D) that cannot be converted to VGA by a passive DVI to VGA adapter.

Chris

0 Likes

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to make a dummy plug with a DVI to VGA adapter and report back soon.

0 Likes

Alright, the Accel B101B-003B DP to VGA adapter has arrived. I've plugged a 100 Ohm resistor into ports 1 and 6 as per the How To Make a VGA Dummy Plug guide and now OpenGL is exposed when signing in via TightVNC instead of Remote Desktop. An important note though, I had to sign out, then plug this adapter in, then sign back in to make OpenGL appear (unlike with a real monitor, where I didn't have to sign in and out to make it work, it worked instantly).

I've cut the resistor legs and laid it sideways, then used some tape instead of soldering or glueing so that we can reuse this (not-too-cheap) adapter later if we ever need to. Now it looks like this. Thanks for the tip, chm.

0 Likes