cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

gatodelsol
Journeyman III

Radeon 5000 series, what is the maximum OpenGL 3D texture size?

I have a Radeon 5000 series video card.  Creating an OpenGL texture, glTexImage3D, causes a segmentation fault when the texture is above a certain size.  The glTexImage command does not return, it crashes the application.  I can not find the maximum size by checking the OpenGL error because glTexImage does not return.  How can I find out what the maximum texture size is?  The size that causes the crash is variable.  The dimension 512x512 and depth over 692 to 750 will cause the seg fault.  Thanks for any help.  Apologies if discussion has been covered.

0 Likes
7 Replies
gsellers
Staff

Hi,

The maximum dimensions of a 3D texture on that card is 16384 x 16384 x 8192. It is not actually possible to allocate a texture that big because it would require several gigabytes of memory. However, if you were to try this, you should get a GL_OUT_OF_MEMORY error and never a crash. It appears that you have hit a bug. We'll look into it. Are you running on Windows or Linux?

Thanks,

Graham

0 Likes

Hi Graham,

We are running Ubuntu 10.4.  The problem is literally a deal breaker for us.  We do medical imaging on large datasets.  We need the fix now.  Please keep me up to date on the status of the bug.

Thanks,

Joan

0 Likes

Hi Graham,

Our Linux driver version is 8.72.11.

Thanks,    Joan

0 Likes

Hi Joan,

That driver is very old. It's 16 months old, actually. I would suggest you upgrade the your driver to the newest available for your platform. The newest Catalyst driver for Linux is available here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx. That driver may work better for you and is based on 8.98. it does not, let me know and we'll dig deeper.

Thanks,

Graham

0 Likes
gatodelsol
Journeyman III

Hi Graham,

We did try the 8.98.2 driver and the segmentation fault still happened.  With the 8.98.2 driver sometimes the machine hung and needed to be rebooted when executing the glTexImage command.

Thanks,

Joan

0 Likes
gatodelsol
Journeyman III

Hi Graham,

My management want a reply is why I used twitter.  Can the driver get fixed?

Thanks,

Joan

0 Likes

Hi Joan,

I'm sorry - I didn't see anything from you on twitter. We are looking into the problem and will fix the issue in a future driver. However, it might take a month or two to see the fix appear in one of our regular Catalyst postings. If you need a fix sooner than that, we can arrange for you to get access to our internal beta builds. Contact me directly for that. graham <dot> sellers <at> amd <dot> com.

Thanks,

Graham

0 Likes