cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

code_review
Adept I

"OEM" of PC (AMD CPU, GPU) + OS: Windows 10 Pro. Cross-platform targets: Android/Linux-like, Windows

I built my own machine with AMD hardware CPU: FX-4350 Black, GPU: R9-2XX, 990 FX chipset and motherboard: ASROCK Extreme 9.  OS is Windows 10 Pro, or openSUSE 13.2 Linux on another SSD if necessary - Windows 10 still seems fragile and blue-screens.

I'm beginning development to reach the mobile Android-and-other-Linux-like OS platforms and Windows 10, so I make heavy use of AMD-V in virtualizaton, (e.g. Android, Linux, Windows 10(phone) emulators).

I was using VirtualBox 5.x until it spontaneously hosted 32-bit only environments. So I use Windows 10 Pro's Hyper-V for now.

I prefer the Visual Studio (2015) IDE as of now.

There is so much talk of "cross-platform" development within the Microsoft Visual Studio community. The most popular methods of packaging an app to a target platform's app store include using Google's Javascript V8 and Node.js projects, along with Apache Cordova. Secondly, there's a C/C++ way to write code that targets Android, Linux, Windows 10/phone/"Universal". I recently been programming in interpreted languages e.g. CPython 2.7/3.x, which has the advantage of being pre-installed in almost every Linux-like environment. I'm aware of the GIL, however, and it seems Python 3.x has ways to make the most out of  4 CPU cores, which is the upper-limit of compute core hardware on Android and most other machines atm, where if more cores are needed, the additional cores are provided by a GPU.  I know the Java language, but C# thoroughly. Downloading a run-time that doesn't already exist on the target platform would be an annoyance for some users. I know the C stdlib somewhat, but I'm very inexperienced with C++.

I'm highly interested in using the AMD compute libraries to maximize performance on mobile and desktop platforms built with AMD CPU/GPU/HSA hardware.

0 Likes
3 Replies
jtrudeau
Staff

Greetings! You are white listed into the developer community. I'm moving this into General Discussions.

If you're interested in ACL, check out the recent blogs. This is a good place to start: overview of what that team is trying to accomplish, and pointers to several blogs. ACL uses OpenCL, so whatever platform you target needs runtime support for OpenCL.

jtrudeau

Thanks for greeting me into the AMD  developer community. Since my initial post, I've been second-guessing which platform would make most sense to target for development of apps. I want to take advantage of AMD architecture to improve performance, yet at the same time, I want to reach a large audience. At this time, it looks like either Microsoft Desktop/Phone 8.1 - 10 apps, or Android apps. I don't know if AMD's partnership with Microsoft remains​ strong with Visual Studio 2015 and Windows 10 as it was with Visual Studio 2013, but if it is, then to me it makes sense to develop for the Windows platform and optimize apps using the AMD SDKs and libraries.

Does AMD have any similar partnership with Google for developing Android apps?

Does AMD have any speculation on what will happen to the market share of hardware and OS for apps about 1 year from now (given this 1 resource on August 2015 Steam Hardware & Software Survey ​​)?

0 Likes

As you noted, we do have a very strong partnership with Microsoft, particularly around game consoles, but also at the OS level.

For Android, there's nothing in particular I can say. Public knowledge is that ARM and AMD are both founding members of the HSA foundation, and a key target of that virtual architecture is mobile devices.

I cannot speculate on the future distribution of market share.