cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Raistmer
Adept II

Problems with Cat 12.10 and up and HD7xxx (and not only) GPUs

My app starts to produce invalid results if source CL file is compiled with Catalyst 12.10 and causes driver restarts if it compiled with Cat 12.11 beta 8.

All this observed on HD7770 GPU. Looks like HD5xxx and HD6xxx are not affected.

Moreover, if app uses cached binaries compiled with Catalyst 12.8 - it works OK under Catalyst 12.10 and 12.11 beta 8. So, it's some problem that very new OpenCL runtime compiler adds.

Any chance to get this issue fixed in Cat 12.11 release ?

0 Likes
43 Replies
binying
Challenger

Re: Problems with Cat 12.10 and up and HD7xxx GPUs

Could you provide more information about this issue such as a simple test code?

0 Likes
Raistmer
Adept II

It was observed on whole app (final results were invalid) and I had no time so far to debug this issue to particular kernel type.

App is available for test, I can provide bench config but so far each time I did this AMD side falled to permanent silence. I don't want spend time for nothing really.

0 Likes
arkayn
Journeyman III

I have also seen it on my HD7750 running 12.11 beta 8, this was while testing some autocorellation work units from SETI Beta using our bench program.

0 Likes
Raistmer
Adept II

Well, unfortunately, this problem not only HD7xxx specific.

I was able to reproduce it on own HD6950.

Here is testcase you asked for: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/60381958/Bad_binaries_with_Cat12.11beta8_test_case.7z

How to use:

Extract archive, run application (executable). It will perform some computations over included in archive dataset.

App provided with text-based CL file. It will compile that CL file and produce few *.bin* files with binary kernels.

There are 2 subdirectories also. One with such binaries generated under Catalyst 12.11 beta 8 (for HD6950 GPU) and another - binaries generated with some older Catalyst (can't say exactly but 12.6 most probably). When I use older binaries (running under Catalyst 12.11 beta 8 ) app does its computations and finished OK.

But when I use no binaries (that is, compilation from scratch under Cat 12.11 beta8) or binaries already compiled under Cat 12.11b8 app causes driver restart.

Please, confirm this and advise for some possible fix for this issue. App supposed to be installed automaticvally on huge number of hosts so driver restarts not an option to live with...

0 Likes
Raistmer
Adept II

Re: Problems with Cat 12.10 and up and HD7xxx (and not only) GPUs

Same issue with Catalyst 12.11 beta 11, GPU is HD6950, OS: Vista x86

0 Likes
Raistmer
Adept II

I installed Catalyst 12.1

Test case with freshly generated kernels binaries works OK.

When I replace those binaries with one generated under Cat 12.11 driver restart issue returns.

I think all this quite full evidence that the problem not in runtime, but in new OpenCL->binary compiler that generates GPU binaries. No matter under what runtime they run, old or new, always binaries generated with old Catalyst work OK, binaries generated with Cat 12.11 (beta 8 or beta 11) cause driver restart.

One can find those binaries in link above.

0 Likes
Raistmer
Adept II

Problems with Cat 12.10 and up and HD7xxx (and not only) GPUs

Any advance with test case? Problem confirmed ?

0 Likes
binying
Challenger

Yes, the test case causes a restart of the graphic card on Win7/SDK2.8/ Catalyst 12.11beta.

Is it possible that you narrowed it down a little bit?

0 Likes
Raistmer
Adept II

Thanks! Hope it will help to fix this issue in next release.

EDIT: About narrowing - yes, I can provide build with very verbose output. So it will be seen what last API call was before restart.

0 Likes