cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

eklund_n
Journeyman III

Possible setup with both nVidia and AMD cards?

I have a HD5870 that I use with the SDK. But I also have a nVidia 210 that I thought would be used as video adaptor to off load the HD5870 from video calculations. Will this work?

The OS is Ubuntu 10.04 and I think that the drivers from both vendors might cause some conflicts. And I've seen some ppl mention that all cards needs a monitor connected. (Some have constructed dummy vga-connector). Do I still need a monitor hooked up to the Hd5870?

0 Likes
11 Replies
rotor
Journeyman III

Hi Eklund,

Yes, you can setup both ATI and Nvidia cards on the same computer using ATI SDK in Windows (I'm not sure about Linux since I am using Win 7). And yes, you have to hook up one monitor to the ATI card .

Note that some special function like logarithm function cannot run on Nvidia card using the ATI SDK. I am stuck at using them so it would be great if any one here can give me a tip on this problem.

Roto

0 Likes

Thanks for reply. But I think this is more regarding Linux' ability to support 2 graphics drivers at one time. So my question remains unanswered.

0 Likes

Yeah, I'm not sure about Linux but in Windows you can go to device manager section and point to specific graphic card and choose to change the driver of the card manually so you can install your specific driver for specific card.

Anyway, there's no harm if you plug both of the card to the system so just try it .

Roto

0 Likes

AFAIK, under Vista/7 it's impossible to install an NVIDIA card + ATI card due to the new WDM model ( all the cards must use the same driver to work ).

I know that because I tried to use a 5750 as primary adapter + a GT8800 for PhysX and a message box popped telling me that.

0 Likes
Ceq
Journeyman III

Hi bubu, I think you're wrong. I have installed a Radeon 5870 (display) and a GeForce 240 (for computing) in the same machine under Win7 x64. PhysX and Nexus don't work, but CUDA and OpenCL work fine.

Originally posted by: bubu AFAIK, under Vista/7 it's impossible to install an NVIDIA card + ATI card due to the new WDM model ( all the cards must use the same driver to work ).

I know that because I tried to use a 5750 as primary adapter + a GT8800 for PhysX and a message box popped telling me that.

0 Likes

on WinXP/7 you can have two graphic driver. on Vista you can't. and PhysX is disabled if nVidia driver detect other driver display like from ATI. (but there are hack to enable PhysX in ATI+nVidia enviroment)

0 Likes
rotor
Journeyman III

@nou: have you tried the Nvidia SDK with both Nvidia card and ATI card? I have just tried the ATI SDK and it works well on both cards.

0 Likes

Originally posted by: eklund.n Thanks for reply. But I think this is more regarding Linux' ability to support 2 graphics drivers at one time. So my question remains unanswered.

You need to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to have more than one "Device" section:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    Driver      "fglrx"
    BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Nvidia thingummy"
    Driver      "Whatever"
    BusID       "PCI:x.y.z"
EndSection

The first is from my xorg.conf the second an unrealistic example. For more info:

$ man xorg.conf

There probably are some other sections that need work too, but it should be possible.

configuring xorg.conf manually can be tricky!!

0 Likes
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

eklund

please refer to this link:http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=390&threadid=138504&enterthread=y

I f you face any problem let me know.

best of luck

0 Likes

and how about GL/CL interoperability? The GL and CL devices must be the same? If not, when sharing buffers will the performance drop? How to chose a particular card to make the GL context? I got the impression that the GL device must be the one pluged to the screen.

0 Likes

IMHO there is fallback when it copy through host memory.

create GL context on the particular card http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/AMD/wgl_gpu_association.txt

or GLX version http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/AMD/glx_gpu_association.txt

when CL and GL context are not on the same card IMHO there must definetly be some copying between cards. so for best performace GL and CL context should on the same card.

0 Likes