Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

mihail_cazacu
Journeyman III

Please help: CodeXL 1.8 profiler complains about not being able to load driver

Hi!

I have a computer with A10-7850k, Radeon 7990 graphics card and Windows 10 operating system.

When I try to profile CodeXL examples AMD teapot or AMD Matrix Multiply I get this error message:

CodeXLError.jpg

That happens no matter which version I use: standalone CodeXL or VisualStudio 2013.  Of course rebooting does not help.

Any suggestions?

Note: I've tried CodeXL 1.7 as well, to see if that works.  CodeXL 1.7 had a slightly more informative error message: in addition to complaining about not being able to load driver, it was saying it cannot run under that hypervisor. 

About hypervisors: The only hypervisor installed on the machine is Hyper-V.  However there is no virtual machine started and therefore CodeXL does not run on any virtual machine.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Mihail,

It looks like Hyper-V is enabled in your system. CodeXL 1.8 or earlier versions don't support profiling on OS running on Hyper-V hypervisor. Once Hyper-v is enabled, even the parent OS Windows 10 runs on Hyper-V hypervisor.

Please use the below steps to disable Hyper-V on your system.

1. Go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off

2. Search for Hyper-V feature in the features list.

3. If the Hyper-V box is checked, then uncheck the box to disable Hyper-V.

4. It will ask for system reboot.

5. After rebooting the system, try profiling again.

Let us know if this doesn't work.

The error message is not very clear, we will put a meaningful error message in next release.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
pinform
Staff

Hi Mihail,

Welcome!

I have white-listed you, so you should be able to directly post in the appropriate forum. As this post seems related to the CodeXL forum, I am moving it there -- the experts there should be able to answer.

--Prasad

0 Likes

Hi Mihail,

It looks like Hyper-V is enabled in your system. CodeXL 1.8 or earlier versions don't support profiling on OS running on Hyper-V hypervisor. Once Hyper-v is enabled, even the parent OS Windows 10 runs on Hyper-V hypervisor.

Please use the below steps to disable Hyper-V on your system.

1. Go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off

2. Search for Hyper-V feature in the features list.

3. If the Hyper-V box is checked, then uncheck the box to disable Hyper-V.

4. It will ask for system reboot.

5. After rebooting the system, try profiling again.

Let us know if this doesn't work.

The error message is not very clear, we will put a meaningful error message in next release.

0 Likes

Yes, removing Hyper-V did the trick.

Hopefully the next versions will be able to work with Hyper-V.

Thanks for the solution.

0 Likes