cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

bubu
Adept II

persistent local memory

Is there any way to make local memory persistent across multiple kernel executions? I basically need that because I execute the same kernel with different values ( like a multi-pass approach )... and I'm currently accumulating a value using global memory... so I was wondering if could be possible to accumulate the value in local memory and move the final result in the last pass to global memory.

thx

0 Likes
11 Replies
omkaranathan
Adept I

Currently there is no way to ensure persistence in local memory. 

0 Likes
ryta1203
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: bubu Is there any way to make local memory persistent across multiple kernel executions? I basically need that because I execute the same kernel with different values ( like a multi-pass approach )... and I'm currently accumulating a value using global memory... so I was wondering if could be possible to accumulate the value in local memory and move the final result in the last pass to global memory.

thx

Is it just one kernel you keep calling?

Is it possible to use local memory and a loop inside the kernel? Have you tried this? If so, what kind of performance diff did you see between this approach and the multilple kernel/global approach?

0 Likes

Is it just one kernel you keep calling?

Yep, same kernel, just different args/constants.

For example:

void main ( const int pass, /* from 0 to 255 */

const float k,

__local float *loc,

__global float *outp )

{

const int l1d = get_local_id(1)*get_local_size(0)+get_local_id(0);

switch(pass)

{

case 0:

loc[l1d] = 0.0f;

break;

case 255: /* the last pass */

outp[get_global_id(1)*get_global_size(0)+get_global_id(0)] = loc[l1D];

break;

default:     

loc[l1d] += k;

}

}

Host code:

cl_int i;

for ( i=0; i<255; ++i )

{

setKernelArg(kernel,0,sizeof(cl_int),&i);

if ( 0==pass ) setKernelArg(kernel,1,WORK_SIZE,NULL);

setKernelArg(kernel,sizeof(cl_mem), &myGlobalBuffer);

clEnqueueNDKernel...

}

0 Likes

You should add another flag to the clCreateBuffer function: CL_LOCAL_MEM.

Also modify the clSetKernelArg so it won't accept a NULL data pointer.

In that way we could use persistent local memory if we don't call the clSetKernelArg again with other data pointer.

0 Likes

Local memory is not guaranteed to be persistent by the hardware between kernel invocations, so this is not possible.
0 Likes

Originally posted by: MicahVillmow Local memory is not guaranteed to be persistent by the hardware between kernel invocations, so this is not possible.

But perhaps for a future spec or HW?

0 Likes

bubu,
Most likely not, Local memory is defined as memory that is share-able between work-items in a work-group, it is not defined to last any longer than the lifetime of a work-group.
0 Likes

There is 64KB of shared global memory though, right?  Although currently this is not exposed.

Am I correct in saying that you are going to expose this via an OpenCL extension?  If so, when is this likely to be?

0 Likes

mboulton,
Global shared memory is not persistent across kernel calls.
0 Likes

Ah I see, so I suppose global shared memory is really designed for communication between different work groups of the same kernel call.

This still seems really useful -- any idea when it will be exposed?

0 Likes

Not in the upcoming release, but most likely in the release after that.
0 Likes