Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

MadrMan
Journeyman III

PerfStudio 2.7 shader editor error

Hello,

I can't seem to get the shader editor to work for me, every time i load up my program and try to use it i get: "Error: D3DX11CompileFromFile failed." with no additional info.

I've tried to reproduce it on dx sdk samples but it seemed to work correctly on all the sdk samples that use fx and the "Enable shader editing" button seemed to be grayed out on the samples that didn't use fx.

Another minor problem is that perfstudio doesn't seem to like the line-ends in the sdk shaders, the whole shader appears on a single line.

I've attached the code to one of the shaders that doesn't work for me.

I'm using vista x64 sp2 with a 4850HD and the latest catalyst drivers and latest dx sdk.

Is there any way I could get additional info on what the error is?

cbuffer TransformCB { matrix WorldViewProjection : WorldViewProjection; matrix World : World; }; Texture2D diffuseTexture : register(t[0]); SamplerState samLinear; struct VS_OUTPUT { float4 Pos : SV_POSITION; float2 UV : TEXCOORD0; }; struct VS_INPUT { float4 Pos : POSITION; float4 Col : COLOR; float3 Normal : NORMAL; float3 Bitangent : BITANGENT; float3 Tangent : TANGENT; float2 UV : TEXCOORD0; }; VS_OUTPUT unlitVS(VS_INPUT input) { VS_OUTPUT output; output.Pos = mul(input.Pos, WorldViewProjection); output.UV = input.UV; return output; } float4 unlitPS(VS_OUTPUT input) : SV_Target0 { return diffuseTexture.Sample(samLinear, input.UV); }

0 Likes
3 Replies
Lonesled
Staff

Hi, thanks for the report.

1) I notice you are using HD54850 cards. These do not support DX11 and shader editing is only enabled for DX11. Are you running a DX11 app? If so then it is running in down-level mode shader editing will not work. The error message definitely needs improving here.

2) "line-ends in the sdk shaders". Only the last few draw calls in the SDK exhibit this issue. These shaders are from DXUT and are used to draw the UI HUD. These shader are actually on one line only. Early draw calls (prior to the UI rendering) should appear correctly.

0 Likes

Sorry, I meant HD4850 not HD54850.

0 Likes

Yes I was running a DX11 app, I had no idea the shader editing didn't work in DX10 mode, but that explains it then.

Ah I didn't verify it with the existing shader - I just assumed the line ends were broken, sorry for that then.

Thanks for the reply.

0 Likes