cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

chevydevil
Adept II

Performance AMD Radeon HD 79xx vs 5870

Hello, i'm writing an application which requires heavy branching and the code runs faster on my cpu the on the 5870. I'm in the beginning of the development and I expect the performance will increase with smarter coding but I wanted to know: Since there is a new architecture on the southern island cards can I aspect a significant performance gain over my 5870 for algorithms depending on heavy branching?

0 Likes
1 Solution
dmeiser
Elite

Of course it depends on a lot of details but I believe it's fair to say that, yes, in general you can expect significant performance improvements.  For one thing the architecture of the southern island gpus doesn't use the 5VLIW or 4VLIW architecture.  Thus you can get fairly good instruction packing even if there is some level of branch divergence.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
kbrafford
Adept II

Are you sure you can't rework your algorithm to eliminate some of the branching?

0 Likes

I can and I will. But this will work only to a certain degree.

0 Likes
dmeiser
Elite

Of course it depends on a lot of details but I believe it's fair to say that, yes, in general you can expect significant performance improvements.  For one thing the architecture of the southern island gpus doesn't use the 5VLIW or 4VLIW architecture.  Thus you can get fairly good instruction packing even if there is some level of branch divergence.

0 Likes