Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Zoltan_Maric
Journeyman III

Passing static private arrays to functions

Hello!

I am designing an Intra-prediction mode selector for an H.264 encoder. I dumbed down the code to isolate the error,so the code doesn't actually do anything useful now.

The problem is: sometimes it returns the correct values, sometimes it doesn't, at approximately 50% of success. As if though sometimes it didn't manage to finish what it was doing.

I tried assigning fixed values to predL within Intra_16x16_Vertical, that works. I tried assigning the p array to predModes, that also returns the correct values.

Also, in my host program i called clFinish after every single operation, but that didn't help.

Please help me,

Thanks in advance.

#define NA 511 void fetchPredictionSamples16(int *predSamples, __global int *frame, int frameWidth, int CurrMbAddr) { int frameWidthInMbs = frameWidth >> 4; int mbAddrA, mbAddrB, mbAddrC; if ((CurrMbAddr % frameWidthInMbs) == 0) { mbAddrA = -1; } else { mbAddrA = CurrMbAddr - 1; } if (CurrMbAddr < frameWidthInMbs) { mbAddrB = -1; } else { mbAddrB = CurrMbAddr - frameWidthInMbs; } // predSamples[0]: if ((mbAddrA == -1) || (mbAddrB == -1)) { predSamples[0] = NA; } else { mbAddrC = mbAddrB - 1; int xF = ((mbAddrC % frameWidthInMbs) << 4) + 15; int yF = ((mbAddrC / frameWidthInMbs) << 4) + 15; int frameIdx = yF*frameWidth + xF; predSamples[0] = frame[frameIdx]; } for (int i = 1; i < 17; i++) { if (mbAddrA == -1) { predSamples = NA; } else { int xF = ((mbAddrA % frameWidthInMbs) << 4) + 15; int yF = ((mbAddrA / frameWidthInMbs) << 4) + (i-1); int frameIdx = yF*frameWidth + xF; predSamples = frame[frameIdx]; } } for (int i = 17; i < 33; i++) { if (mbAddrB == -1) { predSamples = NA; } else { int xF = ((mbAddrB % frameWidthInMbs) << 4) + (i - 17); int yF = ((mbAddrB / frameWidthInMbs) << 4) + 15; int frameIdx = yF*frameWidth + xF; predSamples = frame[frameIdx]; } } } void Intra_16x16_Vertical(int p[33], int predL[16][16]) { for (int y = 0; y < 16; y++) { for (int x = 0; x < 16; x++) { predL = p[x+17]; } } } __kernel void GetIntra16x16PredModes(global int *frame, int frameWidth, global int *predModes) { uint CurrMbAddr = get_global_id(0); int predL[16][16]; int p[33]; fetchPredictionSamples16(p, frame, frameWidth, CurrMbAddr); Intra_16x16_Vertical(p, predL); predModes[CurrMbAddr] = predL[15][15]; }

0 Likes
6 Replies
Zoltan_Maric
Journeyman III

Btw, this only happens if I target the GPU, it works fine on the CPU. I have an HD 5830.

0 Likes

Is it possible that this problem is caused by insufficient power supplied to the GPU? The PSU's max output is 400W, there's only one HDD and one optical drive in the PC.

0 Likes

Could you provide a compilable testcase? Its easier to reproduce and track down  the issue that way.

0 Likes

Zoltan,
I'm able to reproduce the issue internally. I'll look into it.

Micah
0 Likes

Zoltan.Maric,
This works with our internal builds, so you can expect it to work in the next release. If you provide a test program, we can integrate it into our testing. However, there is a problem with the code as you get a divide by zero error if you have frameWidth < 16.
0 Likes

Wow, you guys are too kind.

Yes well, this program is anything but robust. It's not for professional use, I'm only experimenting with OpenCL for a university paper. Either way, frameWidth is never expected to be less then 16. This is ensured in the host program.

I installed the GPU in another computer (with a stronger PSU) and now the problem seems to have gone away. So unfortunately, I cannot provide you with a compilable test case because I can't try it on the initial computer any more.

Anyhow, thanks a lot for your effort.

0 Likes