Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

monoton
Journeyman III

Overlapping computation and memory transfers with OpenACC and the CAPS compiler

Hi,

I am currently working on overlapping my memory transfers (each transfer about 1 GB in size) with computation.

However, even when I use async memory transfers in OpenACC the profiler shows me that the OpenCL command queue runs in-line, blocking all other commands until the transfer is done. So I cannot do the computation concurrently (on another set of data previously brought into memory).

Is there a way to change to out-of-order? And would that resolve the issue? If not, how can I resolve the issue? I cannot fetch the command queue as that is a openacc 2.0 feature that is not yet implemented in the latest compiler. But even if I could, I am not sure if it is supported to do out-of-order.

Is there a way to set the default to out-of-order (preferably a environmental variable or something alike)? Is it supported by the GPU/runtime/SDK?

Is there another way to overlap the compute and memory transfers, if the above is not possible?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Olav

0 Likes
2 Replies
pinform
Staff
Staff

Re: Overlapping computation and memory transfers with OpenACC and the CAPS compiler

I am not sure you can set the default out-of-order execution, but overlapping compute and memory transfers might be possible. Can you post a simple test case?

0 Likes
prao
Staff
Staff

Re: Overlapping computation and memory transfers with OpenACC and the CAPS compiler

Hi Olav,

Overlapping compute and data transfer is possible. You can refer the AsnycDataTransfer sample in APP SDK 2.9 that demonstrates this.

Regards

Pradeep

0 Likes