Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

avk
Adept III

Optimization of games

Does somebody do it?

Hi!
Let's tell the truth: though K10 has appeared the good CPU for server applications (for a short while - until Nehalem's release), but it has appeared not so good for desktop applications, for example, games. Because of it, the nearest three years AMD will receive less profit, and I doubt that future K10+ will strongly improve a situation.
How the usual gamer chooses the CPU for the PC? He reads reviews with results of tests of his favorite games and then makes a decision on purchase. Whether there is even a theoretical opportunity somehow to affect his decision? I think, yes - to improve results of tests by optimization of games.
It is known that about 10 years ago, AMD took part in optimization of popular those days games: Quake 2 (id), Shogo: M.A.D. (Monolith), SiN (Ritual), etc. Somebody knows whether similar work is made and who exactly is engaged in it now? I have made experimental optimization for K7 and K8 of 75 functions from 80 in SIMD-library of the idTech 4 Engine (Doom 3, Quake 4, Prey, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, upcoming new Wolfenstein title, ...), having accelerated them almost all (results see there). As you can see, acceleration often reaches values 1.5, 2 and even 3 times. Somebody is interesting?
0 Likes
0 Replies