Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Methylene
Journeyman III

OpenGL Interop

Bringing the visualization of scientific data closer to real time

One of the popular features of CUDA is that it has both D3D and OpenGL interoperability.  Now, I myself have found transfers between the system and graphics memory to be quite fast, but I have also realized that any heavy duty calculating combined with copies back and forth from gfx memory just to have the end result in gfx memory anyhow, will produce a significant performance hit.

One of my last standing qualms about the API is the lack of OpenGL interoperability.  Although I've always seen the mention of the "OpenGL interaction extension"... But I have no idea what it is or what it does, let alone how I would use it.

Nonetheless, I feel it is a crucial feature that has been overlooked for too long.  When a programmer decides upon hardware, well, the last thing we want is for them to convert to NVIDIA, because their solution requires linux, and real-time rendering capabilities.

I'm sure OpenCL is likely taking a lot of focus away from the StreamSDK, however, since interoperability is available within the specification, would it be at all possible to see a porting of that code to make it into CAL before the OpenCL release?

Otherwise, at this point I am very excited about OpenCL coming to fruition, and due to my inability to focus on one project at a time, and the limited time I have to devote to any, I will be waiting until there is a solution to the memory boomarang scenario.

0 Likes
0 Replies