Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

xdopamine
Journeyman III

OpenGL 4.3 driver

Hello,

I am very excited about OpenGL 4.3 and I am wondering when I can expect a new driver which supports this version. Any ideas?

9 Replies
gsellers
Staff

Hi,

We have not announced the timeline our support for OpenGL 4.3 yet, although we are also excited about this new version and want to get drivers into the hands of our users. We are working on it but want to ensure we launch with the highest possible performance and quality. Although I cannot comment on schedule, we will be implementing the various ARB extensions that together make up the new features in OpenGL 4.3 and releasing them into the public driver as they are ready. Expect to see several extensions rolled into upcoming driver releases, followed by a formal OpenGL 4.3 release once all of the features are complete.

Thanks,

Graham

0 Likes

Hello Graham,

could you give us some news about OpenGL 4.3 support?

It is still missing in catalyst 12.12

I would have expected that at least ARB_multi_draw_indirect and perhaps ARB_shader_storage_buffer_object are supported by now.

Regards,

Yousry

0 Likes

Hi,

The extensions making up OpenGL 4.3 are coming together and should be with you shortly. Some of the extensions such as GL_ARB_texture_buffer_range and GL_ARB_texture_storage_multisample should be available in existing drivers. Others, such as GL_ARB_multi_draw_indirect are direct promotions of extensions that we already support (in this case GL_AMD_multi_draw_indirect). Expect to see a few more extensions show up in an upcoming driver.

Cheers,

Graham

0 Likes

Thank you for this information.

0 Likes

Is there a rough release date for this driver?

I don't want a specific day, just if it takes about 1 or 3 or 6 months.

Because our project is nearly frozen because we are waiting for the full 4.3 support.

0 Likes

/bump, I'm very interested in this as well. 

FWIW, there are signs of progress in the leaked catalyst 13.2. It doesn't advertise compute support but so far I've at least been able to write some data to an image via glDispatchCompute. There's some shader language stuff missing and the driver crashes if one tries to get a binary from a linked compute program so it's probably not something you'd want to use for development just yet.

0 Likes

I'm developing a replacement for linux DRI(less complicated and more generic), and I've a question too.

There are some features that are required in GL4.3 but as far as I can see, cannot be supported on radeons(SI, NI, Evergreen - at all). However, these features are not related directly to rendering pipeline, but to kernel mode driver:

"multi-application robustness extension that ensures that an application that causes a GPU reset will not affect any other running applications"

I can't find any hw register descriptions which can be used to reset a single context without resetting CP.

0 Likes
yours3lf
Adept II

I'd like to bump this too.

The greens have the gl 4.3 features now like for months... This is crazy, I can't develop using gl 4.3 because there's no driver. The compute shaders would be extremely important. Please hurry up I know you'd love to see as much as I do stunning (ogl) compute shader effects on amd radeon gpus...

Join to request. Especially I want to try compute shaders!