Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Harini
Journeyman III

openCL supported HD 3xxx

query to know my pc's support for OpenCL

Hello Sir/Madam

My laptop's configuration is AMD Athlon-x2 with ATI Radeon HD-3200 using windows 7 OS. while running openCL sample programs I am getting " GPU not found , falling back to CPU" line in output. can u just help me to get through this problem.

Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution
mikism
Adept I

Hello, Harini

As far as I can tell, OpenCL is not supported on any of 3xxx processors. In fact AMD APP is not supported on these chips at all. If you would look at GPU requirements for AMD APP (http://developer.amd.com/sdks/AMDAPPSDK/pages/DriverCompatibility.aspx), only 4xxx processors and later have OpenCL support.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
mikism
Adept I

Hello, Harini

As far as I can tell, OpenCL is not supported on any of 3xxx processors. In fact AMD APP is not supported on these chips at all. If you would look at GPU requirements for AMD APP (http://developer.amd.com/sdks/AMDAPPSDK/pages/DriverCompatibility.aspx), only 4xxx processors and later have OpenCL support.

0 Likes

Hello mikism ,

Can i add external graphic card which supports OpenCL to my laptop and run OpenCL programs??

Thanks for your reply

0 Likes

Originally posted by: mikism Hello, Harini

Correct, I don't believe any of Intel's current GPUs support OpenCL (but I could be wrong. I don't know why you'd want to run it on an Intel GPU though).

The OP can though, run OpenCL code on his CPU, which is what that message is telling him and what the software is doing.

Originally posted by: Harini Hello mikism ,

Can i add external graphic card which supports OpenCL to my laptop and run OpenCL programs??

Thanks for your reply

Theoretically yes, but it would be badly hindered by the bus you would have to use (expresscard is probably the fastest method based on my estimate of your laptop's age). You're better off building a new system with an OpenCL compliant GPU or running your OpenCL code on your CPU (but this is very far from optimal and basically negates nearly all optimization techniques since most of these require dedicated hardware found in the GPU, which, under the CPU is emulated).

Thanks for the reply notyou and mikism.

Can you suggest me equivalent code in openCL for the below given cuda code..?

cudaError error = cudaMallocPitch( (void**)&gpu_data, (size_t*)&pitch, instances->cols * sizeof(float), instances->rows);

for( int i = 0; i < instances->rows; i++ ){

error=cudaMemcpy((void*)(gpu_data +(pitch/sizeof(float))*i),(void*)(instances->data+(instances->cols*i)),instances->cols * sizeof(float), cudaMemcpyHostToDevice);

Please anyone help me in converting this code to openCL..

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply notyou ,

Can I get one more information regarding these graphic cards. Since I dropped the idea of adding external graphic card to my laptop, I have to search for another way to run my openCL code. Now I go for this , I have a desktop with AMD Athlon(tm) ll x2 215 processor with 2.7GHz speed and RAM of 1792MB, can you suggest me some good openCL supported ATI graphic cards that fit into this. I thought of going for 5450 - 1GB graphic card since I can afford it..can you give me some suggestion on this..

0 Likes

Anything based on the Evergreen architecture(Most HD5XXX cards) or later is what you want. It is not recommended to use anything based on the 7XX architecture.

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply.. Am planning to buy 5450 - 1GB card for one of my college's desktops with the config AMD Athlon(tm) II x2 215 processor with 1792MB RAM.. will it work for it.. Means can I replace the existing geforce graphics with ATI -5450 and run any openCL code without any problem..??

0 Likes