Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

reggyj
Adept I

OpenCL SDK not working after reformat.

Hi, I could really use some help.

The error:

The error I get is at runtime and it is:

"Unhandled exception at 0x00000000 in opencl.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation."

It seems to happen when I run any OpenCL code at all. But specifically, I'm trying to run:

cl::vector< cl::Platform > platformList;

cl::Platform::get(&platformList);

More Info:

I had a project up and working fine on my computer, but unfortunately I need to reformat my computer. After getting everything configured on my clean install, however, my OpenCL project no longer works at all. I've tried other non-open cl projects recovered from before the wipe and they run fine. I have updated my graphics drivers and tried a clean wipe of my drivers and re-installing them but had no luck.

I now get a runtime error when running basic example code.

I followed this guide for uninstalled my drivers so I could try re-installing them:

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2012/4/4/guide-how-to-completely-uninstall-amd-graphics-drivers...

After reinstalling my drivers I was told the SDK installed fine, but that the SDK samples did not, but it give any further information. I tried installing again, and got the same problem.

Technical Specs:

Windows 7 64 bit

ATI Radeon HD5850

Visual Studio 2010 Professional

I've been using the 13-1 drivers.

I could really use some help with this. I cannot get it to work. If there's any more information I should add let me know. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi reggy,

I have faced similar issue earlier. Here is what worked for me.

1. Uninstall everything using catalyst uninstall manager. Or using this utility http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/catalyst-uninstall-utility.aspx

REBOOT

2. After that manually delete the AMD APP folder in the "documents" directory.

3. Install Catalyst 13.1 driver.

REBOOT

4. Install AMD APP SDK 2.8

Also I would not suggest you to manually remove all ati/amd files as was mentioned in the link above.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Are u running the old binary? Can u try re-compiling?

You said you were "not" able to install the SDK again? Can you be specific about the error?

Does this mean, you installed the SDK but samples don't run?

(or)

You were unable to install the SDK itself? -- in which case, we need to debug this first.

Can you get more details on this?

Is the old version (b4 wipe) of the SDK still out there?

Hi, thanks for the response!

I've been doing a full clean and rebuild when ever I make major changes (i.e. reinstalling drivers).

I've attached the XML file the SDK installer gave me to this post. Its says the SDK and the CPU SDK were a success but the SDK samples were not. Nothing appears in the Error messages section.

The old SDK wouldnt be any where on my computer if that's what you mean. But I believe it was the 12.3 version. At this point I'm just trying to get basic example code to run, so I wouldn't think the version would be overly important.

0 Likes

Hi reggy,

I have faced similar issue earlier. Here is what worked for me.

1. Uninstall everything using catalyst uninstall manager. Or using this utility http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/catalyst-uninstall-utility.aspx

REBOOT

2. After that manually delete the AMD APP folder in the "documents" directory.

3. Install Catalyst 13.1 driver.

REBOOT

4. Install AMD APP SDK 2.8

Also I would not suggest you to manually remove all ati/amd files as was mentioned in the link above.

Hope this helps.

Hey, sorry for the delayed response.  I just followed your instructions and it appears to have worked! Thank you so much.

I googled this problem a fair bit and most of my results reported that the drivers do not fully uninstall from the Catalyst uninstall manager, which seems to have been part of my problem as I did try it, several times infact. But until your post I had not heard of the uninstall utility you linked. That seems to have done the job.

Curiously enough though, I seem to still be getting the same error where the examples do not install correctly. I did make sure to delete the AMD APP folder in 'my documents'.  But, as long my applications run I'm happy.

Thanks again. I really appreciate you helping out a stranger.

0 Likes

Reggyj,

You are most welcome. And, Nobody is a stranger here. We are all one big OpenCL family here.

Best Regards,