cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

gracebt
Journeyman III

OpenCL SDK executable - access violation reading 0x00000000.

I recently upgrade my cpu from a phenom triple core fo an fx-8350.  My new motherboard is an ASUS Sabertooth 990fx and my

GPU is an ATI Radeon 4550. None of the SDK applications work, I have downloaded and installed Catalyst 13.1.

Starting any of the SDK executables using Visual Studio results in errors like:

Unhandled exception at 0x77c215de in Mandelbrot.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

I started trying to verify  OpenCL  when after my upgrade, GUIMINER stopped working.

CLBenchmark is also not working.

Apparently OpenCL is not working.

I am running Windows 7 X64. I don't seem to have any problems with any of my graphics oriented applications.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank You!

-Grace

NNNN

z

0 Likes
1 Solution

Thanks,

You were right about removing 13.1 and re-installing an earlier version. Everything is working now with

Catalyst 12.2. After more reading, I think that maybe a complete uninstall and re-install of 13.1 might

also work. Some problems seem to have happened because 13.1 does not properly delete some files

from earlier versions before it installs, So possibly anyone who is upgrading to 13.1 should do a

complete removal of AMD and ATI before installing 13.1. I have not tried this yet but if I do and I can

get 13.1 to work, I will post here.  It has been reported that 13.1 OpenCL is slower than previous

versions. I am a little suspicious that there may be something funky about  this release installation

package.

Anyway, thank You for pointing me in the right direction. I have solved my problem for now.

-Grace

NNNN

z

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
realhet
Miniboss

I think, try an older catalyst (use the AMD Catalyst uninstall utility to remove 13.1 driver), because 4xxx cards aren't supported by current OpenCL stuff, and also they were always got beta OpenCL support.

Maybe a 2011 driver is ok. (and also an sdk from these times)

As I know, today, the fully supported hardware with the latest drivers are up from Evergreen(HD5xxx+).

And of course HD4xxx is good for graphics (I have an 1TFlops/s card too, and it's still really good), but those cards doesn't got the flexibility (for example: many UAVs, memory atomics, multimedia instructions) that OpenCL would require.

Thanks,

You were right about removing 13.1 and re-installing an earlier version. Everything is working now with

Catalyst 12.2. After more reading, I think that maybe a complete uninstall and re-install of 13.1 might

also work. Some problems seem to have happened because 13.1 does not properly delete some files

from earlier versions before it installs, So possibly anyone who is upgrading to 13.1 should do a

complete removal of AMD and ATI before installing 13.1. I have not tried this yet but if I do and I can

get 13.1 to work, I will post here.  It has been reported that 13.1 OpenCL is slower than previous

versions. I am a little suspicious that there may be something funky about  this release installation

package.

Anyway, thank You for pointing me in the right direction. I have solved my problem for now.

-Grace

NNNN

z

0 Likes