cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

avunaos
Adept I

OpenCL + Premiere Pro CC = Crash (with catalyst omega update)

So basically I'm comming here becouse after weeks of research and even making a complete format and re-install of windows, premiere, and ATI drivers, I still can't find a solution to this issue.

I have a Radeon HD 6970, and basically I can't pick "GPU acceleration (OpenCL)" in Premiere Pro CC becouse it crashes everytime it wants to playback a video... I can only pick "software only" but that option is twice as slow and it makes my work a real pain. (I work editing videos)
The weird thing is that every was working pretty fine until I updated my card drivers to the last Omega version... Any advice? I've tried a lot of possible solutions, the last one being making a complete clean install of everything.

For more information about my computer specs and some error messages I have created an entry in the official AMD forum, but got no replies
Here is the link: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=443&threadid=182461

Thanks a lot!

0 Likes
1 Solution
avunaos
Adept I

SOLVED

Just went to support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous and downloaded the 13.12 version of the driver, now Premiere Pro works with GPU OpenCL Acceleration... man hope they fix that (both adobe and amd) on next patch...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
mdriftmeyer
Adept II

Just a wild guess, but seeing as the Omega driver was released after any Premiere Pro CC update [last one on their Premiere Pro Blog cites mid October update with OpenCL] Adobe most likely has to release a newer version to work with any changes to OpenCL AMD made with this driver stack.

0 Likes

Thank u very much I also tought that... is there a way (I could not find) to revert / downgrade my driver to a previous version so it works again?

0 Likes

Before downgrading, I would contact Adobe and get an answer [in short, a definitive statement that they have tested and certified Premiere Pro CC [if so, which revision release]] before reverting. If your profession handcuffs you with your work, include that in your request to Adobe as urgent. If this is a non-work related machine I'd downgrade [after filing a bug report with Adobe] to the prior version, while they work through the issues.

If they claim this is AMD's error, they should show proof and contact AMD to be included in on the loop.

KNOWNS:

1. AMD OpenCL 2.0 stack is not feature complete
  2. There will be bugs in this OpenCL 2.0 stack

UNKNOWN:

1. We don't know if Adobe's OpenCL implementation is safe against the Omega driver
  2. We know their OpenCL support worked prior to the new OpenCL 2.0 stack

I would file the report with Adobe, show a trace output [In Windows you can launch the app.exe from the command line as well as the shortcut link] The output dumped to the Windows shell should be included in the bug report.

0 Likes

I would really apreciate if you could contact adobe for better infomation. really ❤️ (since I believe they dont provide customer service at my country)
you can check error messages of premiere pro and GPUsniffer data in the link provided in the OP

0 Likes

How-To Uninstall AMD Catalyst Drivers From A Windows Based System

Just uninstalling the driver should revert the driver back to the one that came with the OS. Then, you can install the version you want.

If that does not work, use amd driver uninstall utility from AMD Catalyst Clean Uninstall Utility 1.4.0.0 Driver - TechSpot.

Note that this utility will remove all AMD drivers including sound drivers, SATA drivers, etc. So, you will want to have optional AMD chipset driver that matches the version of Catalyst driver you are installing.

0 Likes

thing is, it wasn't a "the one that came with the OS" it was an older driver, previous to Catalyst Omega... I believe it was driver version 9 or 10.

I mean uninstalling wont solve the problem, I need to download an offline installer of an old driver, and AMD won't provide that.

0 Likes

If you're on Windows I'd head over to Guru3d.com and ask them what drivers they have archived. They have quite a few that I am aware.

0 Likes

Previous

AMD has links to previous releases of the driver. Above link is for Win8.1. But you can find the download link to previous versions from the driver download page, helpful link section.

0 Likes
avunaos
Adept I

SOLVED

Just went to support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous and downloaded the 13.12 version of the driver, now Premiere Pro works with GPU OpenCL Acceleration... man hope they fix that (both adobe and amd) on next patch...

0 Likes
strox
Journeyman III

Latest driver, that working for me with Premiere Pro CC 7.2.2, is 14-4-win7-win8-win8.1-64-dd-ccc-whql