Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

tof29
Journeyman III

OpenCL OpenGL interop and VAO problems

Hi,

I'm trying to use VAO for interop between OGL and OCL on Debian 3.2.35-2 x86_64 with ATI drivers 9.012-121219a-151962C-ATI (HD 6670 card)

First, I create two VAO objects, then use them using clCreateFromGLBuffer(...) as output buffer in OCL.

Everything is OK as long as I'm not calling the glDrawArrays(GL_POINTS, ....).

If I'm not calling it, the OCL output buffer is OK, and when I check the OGL buffer it is created from, I get the same data.

If I'm calling the DrawArrays, the OCL output buffer is still OK, but the OGL buffer is never updated after the first DrawArrays, it's like the OCL and OGL buffer where unlinked after the first draw ...

I'm using the clEnqueueAcquireGLObjects(...) and get no OCL nor OGL error at all (I check all commands).

I check my code with an nVidia card, and I have not this problem (but others on texture use in geometry shaders ... working perfectly on ATI cards !!!! ... but this is another point ... for another forum ... ).

Any idea ?

Thanks,

Tof

0 Likes
20 Replies
nou
Exemplar

Do you mean VBO? Because VAO is something different in modern OpenGL. Did you tried SimpleGL example from SDK? Also you need to create OpenGL VBO after creation of OpenCL context. That mean create OpenGL context then create OpenCL context then create VBO and finally create OpenCL shared object from it.

0 Likes
tof29
Journeyman III

Here is my code (simplified) :

OGL, then OCL init from OGL context

// OGL Buffer creation

glGenBuffers(1,&_vboTreatedData0);

glGenVertexArrays(2,_vao);

glBindVertexArray(_vao[0]);

glEnableVertexAttribArray(0);

// Create the treated data buffer for OGL input (Not initialized but created on graphic card)

// Updated by OCL (or manually while OCL/OGL interop not working)

glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER,_vboTreatedData0);

char *tmpData = (char *)malloc(SIZE);

memset(tmpData,0,SIZE);

glBufferData(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, SIZE , tmpData, GL_STATIC_DRAW);

glVertexAttribPointer(0, 1, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, GL_FALSE, 0, 0);

glBindVertexArray(0);

// OCL buffer from OGL buffer

mem = clCreateFromGLBuffer(oclcontext,CL_MEM_READ_WRITE,_vboTreatedData0,&lasterror);

// then the display loop with the OCL treatment

while(!end) {

clEnqueueAcquireGLObjects(cq,1, &mem, 0, NULL, NULL);

doOCLTreatment(...);

clEnqueueReleaseGLObjects(cq,1, &mem, 0, NULL, NULL);

glBindVertexArray(_vao[0]);

glDrawArrays(GL_POINTS, 0, SIZE);

glBindVertexArray(0);

}

If the glDrawArrays is not called, all buffers are updated as expected.

If it's called, the OGL buffer is only updated the first time. Then it's no more updated, but the OCL buffer that was created from it is still updated.

And it work as expected on nVidia hardware.

So it may be the way I draw and update the buffers, or driver related problem.

I'll try to extract my code to do a sample app ...

0 Likes

I don't see any clFinish() and glFinish(). If you don't use sync object you need ensure proper synchronization with these calls. Also AMD OpenCL doesn't start execution until you call clFlush() or another API call which call clFlush() implicitly like synchronous data transfers.

0 Likes
tof29
Journeyman III

I have removed them from the code to make it lighter here, but they are called after each command to be sure it's treated.

0 Likes

Can you confirm, if you have checked the relevant APP SDK Samples??

I would request you to attach an appropriate test case (as Zip file) in case problem persists.

0 Likes

Yes. Other samples using interop are working (APP SDK sample). I'll try to extract a test case from my application to reproduce this problem. But I'll be out of office for 2 weeks, so I may not be able to provide it to you before the 13th may. Thanks.

0 Likes

I had an issue like this, and I think it boils down to the order of creation of OpenCL vs OpenCL. The OpenCL context have to be created before any OpenGL objects are created, preferably immediately after the OpenGL context is created.

0 Likes

Hi,

Here are 2 running samples on linux 64b :

- TestAMD_UNSIGNED_BYTE showing the problem

- TestAMD_UNSIGNED_SHORT working as expected

Both use the same code. Only the data format in the VBO is changed.

This problem is heavily impacting my project now in production phase, so if you could find a quick solution it would be great !

Thanks,

Christophe

0 Likes

Still investigating :

Seems to work only if VBO has at least 4 bytes binded (glVertexAttribPointer) as input to the vertex shader per primitive :

- 1 byte, 1 short : not working

- 2 shorts, 1 int, 1 float : working

Is it an AMD limitation ?

0 Likes

Hi Nou,

BTW, 'clFlush' is no longer required to invoke execution. The AMD OCL runtime will start executing as soon as it has any workload in the queue.

Tzachi

0 Likes

Hi,

Any info on my problem ?

Thanks,

Christophe

0 Likes

Hi,

May anyone from AMD contact me about this problem. It's really hurting our project. We really need technical support. I'm working for a big project on embedded systems for a big company and can't get any support on drivers. Our supplier ask us to contact AMD directly, but no way to get a direct contact.

Thanks.

0 Likes
tof29
Journeyman III

Hi !

Back on this project ! I have pointed out the problem origin :

- create an input CLBuffer (1)

- create a VBO buffer (3) with OGL, then an CLbuffer (2) from this GL VBO

then the loop :

- update input CLbuffer (1)

- launch a simple "copy" CL kernel from CLbuffer (1) to CLBuffer (2)

- display the content of the updated VBO Buffer (3) with glDrawArrays(GL.GL_POINTS,....)

On the first loop : everything is fine !

On the next ones : the VBO buffer is not updated.

If I remove the glDrawArrays call, the VBO is correctly updated on every loop !!!!

I have done tests on Linux and Windows with various AMD cards (HD7000 and mobility M6000) and drivers (including the last ones) with same results : only first update of VBO !

I have done tests using NVidia cards : everything work as expected !

So seams to be AMD drivers related.

Thanks for any help.

UPDATE : Problem only appear when using GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, no problem with GL_FLOAT !

glVertexAttribPointer(0, 1, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, false, 1, 0);

0 Likes
tof29
Journeyman III

Any news ?

0 Likes

Hi,

Can you try one more alternative, first clear graphics before rendering from vbo:

1. first call glClear(); before glBindVertexArray(_vao[0]);

2. one more changes you can add, call glEnableClientState and gldisableClientState before and after glDrawArrays() respectively;

let me know if you still have same issue.

Regards

0 Likes

Hi, I'll check it as soon as I'm back to work (in a week). Thanks.

0 Likes

Hi,

I have tried the changes you suggested : no change. Still not working. Have you tried the 2 examples I have sent on a previous post ?

Thanks,

Christophe

0 Likes
pinform
Staff

Thanks for your patience.  I have contacted an AMD engineer about your issue.  He should get back shortly.

0 Likes

May I get an answer on this problem too : glMultiDrawArraysIndirect and CPU overhead (software emulation in AMD drivers ??)

I have no walk-around for this one, and it's really more annoying !

Thanks,

Christophe

0 Likes

Any news ? One month and no answer. Really need your support. Thanks.

0 Likes