cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

ongle
Adept I

OpenCL not recognizing GPU correctly.

I have a strange issue with OpenCL/APP 2.8 on my Ubuntu 12.10 box. I had one 5830 and then added a 6850. The aticonfig utility sees them correctly but opencl has a duplicate entry for the 5830.

$ aticonfig --lsa

* 0. 01:00.0 ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series 

1. 02:00.0 AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

* - Default adapter

$ clinfo | grep "Board name\|Device Topology"

Board name:                    ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series 

Device Topology:               PCI[ B#2, D#0, F#0 ]

Board name:                    ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series 

Device Topology:               PCI[ B#2, D#0, F#0 ]

I can't figure out how to get OpenCL to reconfigure itself.

I have previously had a similiar configuration (one 6850 and one 5830 but in reversed PCI slots) and had no issues. I then removed the 6850 and replaced it with a second 5830 but I couldn't get that to work correctly. I was pretty sure OpenCL was confusing the two 5830s so I took one out and tried with just one, and that worked normally. I then put the 6850 in to see if it was having two identical cards that was the issue.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
1 Solution

I went ahead and upgraded Ubuntu to 13.04 and then Catalyst to 13.4. After that clinfo started listing the two cards with different PCI attributes. All seems fixed now but I have no idea why.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
himanshu_gautam
Grandmaster

Thats baffling.

Can you just list the platforms and devices through your own code? (i.e. through the APIs -- clGetPlatformIds(), clGetDevices())

This will tell whether the problem is in "clinfo" or with OpenCL Runtime.

0 Likes

Check http://devgurus.amd.com/message/1286878#1286878

AFAIK, this was one of the symptoms, while creating a remote setup with iGPU + dGPU setup.

BTW, I do have catalyst 13.1 installed.

I added the chmod uog+rw /dev/ati/card* to the lightdm.conf's display-setup-script and touched a file to ensure it was executing but the issue remains the same. I still get clinfo reporting a duplicate 5830. While the machine now has two 5830s, clinfo should be reporting one on B#1 and one on B#2 (or at least different B#).

$ lspci | grep AMD

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Cypress LE [Radeon HD 5800 Series]

01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Cypress HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5800 Series]

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Cypress LE [Radeon HD 5800 Series]

02:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Cypress HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5800 Series]

$ clinfo | grep "Board name\|Device Topology"

Board name:                     ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series 

Device Topology:                 PCI[ B#2, D#0, F#0 ]

Board name:                     ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series 

Device Topology:                 PCI[ B#2, D#0, F#0 ]

0 Likes

I went ahead and upgraded Ubuntu to 13.04 and then Catalyst to 13.4. After that clinfo started listing the two cards with different PCI attributes. All seems fixed now but I have no idea why.

0 Likes

I've had to move the 6850 to another machine, and am now left with the two 5830s that I originally wanted to use with this box.

I haven't written my own code to compare platforms and devices but I've used cgminer -n which I believe does just that. The plaforms always report correctly and the OpenCL info is always a duplicate of the 5830.

0 Likes