Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

gstoner
Staff
Staff

Re: OpenCL™ 2.0 is here!

Sascha

I understand your short term frustration,.  Catalyst is our Production Driver that is relied on by our larger base of  consumer and business customers, and we felt it better not to disrupt these customer while we are in the early stages of deployment of HSA.  As Jim said we are early in Pre 1.0 release, we felt it was better to engage the developer community early so they can have impact on what we deliver in 1.0 and post 1.0

Where we are at right now: The HSA foundation has a public alpha of HSA 1.0 software which released in Aug,  Right now  we are scheduled to be posting a public beta for HSA 1.0.  We still have some release process hurdles to cross but it will likely be within weeks, not months. We made a decision early on that we would open source all the major components of the HSA software stack. We really want to open up what is possible with GP/GPU computing.

These slides show the direction we are going with our Linux Driver,  We are moving to common kernel for the open source and Post Catalyst era Proprietary Driver. This should clean up the user experience with our Linux driver and offer a much bigger lift in performance for compute and graphics for both drivers. The  HSA runtime is a core component of this transition for both the Open and Closed drivers.

[Phoronix] The Slides Announcing The New "AMDGPU" Kernel Driver

We appreciate your patience as we roll out a new foundation for GP/GPU computing that will benefit OpenCL and so many more possible languages.

oscarbarenys1
Adept II

Some questions about that exciting release:

1) Driver release notes on GPU support are somewhat not clear..

for example it says it supports "AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series" for driver doesn't  work with a 7950 card.. the device id isn't present on the inf file..

also even after using a modded driver adding this device id we get as some people say 1.2 support via clinfo on CL_DEVICE_VERSION..

Anyway just to be concise does GCN 1.0 products as Tahiti cards (7950 and 7970) will support full OCL 2.0?

As seems GCN 1.1 will support it such as Hawaii (290x) and GCN 1.2 will support it (285 Tonga)..

2) AMD supports SPIR extension but on August SPIR 2 provisional spec was released bringing SPIR to support all OCL 2 features like dynamic parallelism.. does this AMD OCL 2 driver support experimental SPIR 2? if not it will be in final OCL 2 drivers?

3) seems even some cards doesn't up supporting full OCL 2 they could support some extensions that expose some parts of it like the MSAA textures extension that is integrated in OCL 2.. AMD could expose at least that extension on Tahiti cards?

4) One very interesting extension in OpenCL implementation is the "OpenCL C++ static kernel language extension".. now OpenCL 2 supporting some overloading and more C++ like support like atomics is this static kernel language extension still supported or extended in some way interoperate with OCL 2.0 kernel language or has been removed?

thanks..

0 Likes
jtrudeau
Staff
Staff

Re: Re: OpenCL™ 2.0 is here!

Oscar, I checked with some folks....

1) Driver release notes on GPU support are somewhat not clear..

Yeah, I'm hammering on some people internally to clean this up. My apologies for incomplete/inaccurate information on what devices are supported.

Anyway just to be concise does GCN 1.0 products as Tahiti cards (7950 and 7970) will support full OCL 2.0?

Requires GCN 1.1. But a more accurate list of precisely which devices are supported is in the works.

2) AMD supports SPIR extension but on August SPIR 2 provisional spec was released bringing SPIR to support all OCL 2 features like dynamic parallelism.. does this AMD OCL 2 driver support experimental SPIR 2? if not it will be in final OCL 2 drivers?

SPIR 2.0 is not currently supported.  Only OpenCL 1.2 features are currently supported by AMD’s SPIR extension (SPIR version 1.2)

3) seems even some cards doesn't up supporting full OCL 2 they could support some extensions that expose some parts of it like the MSAA textures extension that is integrated in OCL 2.. AMD could expose at least that extension on Tahiti cards?

Thanks for the feedback.  The current implementation supports only core OpenCL 2.0 APIs, but we will consider this request for future drivers.

4) One very interesting extension in OpenCL implementation is the "OpenCL C++ static kernel language extension".. now OpenCL 2 supporting some overloading and more C++ like support like atomics is this static kernel language extension still supported or extended in some way interoperate with OCL 2.0 kernel language or has been removed?

The current OpenCL 2.0 implementation supports only OpenCL 2.0 core features.  Further extensions are under consideration. Again, thanks for the feedback.  Great to hear that extensions such as C++ static kernel language features are important to developers.

oscarbarenys1
Adept II

Thanks for very informative response!

Allow me some feedback:

First just to clarify are this beta drivers shipping with dynamic parallelism working as they guy (implementing HSA and OCL 2.0 C++ AMP backends so must know something..) say no (please see link):

multicoreware / cppamp-driver-ng / issues / #20 - Request for support dynamic parallelism in OCL 2.0...

Also please add to new OCL 2.0 extensions list that should be in theory be supported on GCN 1.0 this:

*cl_khr_gl_msaa_sharing (what I said)

*also please MIPMAP images new extensions: cl_khr_mipmap_image     cl_khr_mipmap_image_writes

also I found interesting new extension on Intel drivers that allows interop of CL,DX11 and OGL resources (buffers, texes?) at the same time: cl_intel_simultaneous_sharing that seems Adobe CC products use..

spec and sample here:cl_intel_simultaneous_sharing OpenCL extension in a new driver | Intel® Developer Zone

Makes sense on AMD to support?

thanks..

0 Likes
jtrudeau
Staff
Staff

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll make sure this gets into the R&D team.

Regards dynamic parallelism, I’m told the feature is supported but there are known problems with the currently available driver.

Hope this helps, and thanks again for the suggestions.

Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2014 10:05 AM

To: Trudeau, Jim

Subject: OpenCL™ 2.0 is here! | AMD Developer Forums

AMD Developer Forums <http://devgurus.amd.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

OpenCL™ 2.0 is here!

in OpenCL

0 Likes
oscarbarenys1
Adept II

Thanks for all support..

Last question is can we expect a OpenCL 2.0 CPU implementation from AMD also soon?

As Intel is shipping a CL2.0 CPU implementation right now..

Oscar.

0 Likes