cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

coordz
Adept II

OpenCL 2.0 driver support summary?

I'm trying to do some OpenCL 2.0 development on AMD GPUs and I've spent a day messing around with various drivers trying to get a stable setup with OpenCL 2.0 driver support.

1) Is there a definitive and official list/table in the driver release notes or elsewhere that lists the supported versions of OpenCL on various AMD GPUs?

2) Specifically, on an R7 260X in a 64 bit Windows 7 machine with 8Gb memory RAM the only driver that provides OpenCL 2.0 is the one from AMD OpenCL™ 2.0 Driver, i.e. amd-14.41rc1-win8.1-64bit-opencl2-sep19.exe. However, the display part of this driver is horribly unstable and crashes all the time. Other drivers I've tried are

amd-catalyst-15.7.1-with-dotnet45-win7-64bit.exe - Reports OpenCL 1.2

radeon-crimson-16.3.2-with-dotnet45-win7-64bit.exe - Reports OpenCL 1.2

radeon-crimson-15.11-with-dotnet45-win7-64bit.exe - Reports OpenCL 1.2

I've checked that the actual registered ICD DLLs are being changed by the different driver installations..... What driver should I use for OpenCL 2.0 support on an R7 260X?

On another machine with a R9 380 and 64 bit Windows 10 I can successfully get OpenCL 2.0 supported

The only other info I found on the web was OpenCL 2.0 requirements changed in Crimson driver? which relates to Linux and with my 8Gb of RAM shouldn't affect me.

Many thanks for any help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi,

Your clinfo output is not the expected one. Some of the OpenCL 2.0 related fields such as SVM capabilities, device side queue etc. (see below) are missing there. Based on the device capabilities (and also driver), those fields indicate the right values (applicable even for the OpenCL 1.2 devices). For example, please find the attached clinfo files generated with Crimson 16.6.1 for both Hawaii-XT (OpenCL 2.0) and Capverde XT(OpenCL 1.2) devices.

SVM capabilities:

Coarse grain buffer: Yes

Fine grain buffer: Yes

Fine grain system: No

Atomics: No

Queue on Device properties:

Out-of-Order: No

Profiling :  No

It seems that something is messed up in your system or at least not linking the expected DLLs. Please try the below suggestions and share your observations.

1) Please un-install the APP SDK and check the clinfo.

2) If still see the same, completely un-install the driver from control panel and then freshly install the driver and check the clinfo output.

3) If nothing solved, please try above step once without the Intel platform.

Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

1. An overview is available here: List of AMD graphics processing units - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

E.g.  R7 260X is based on GCN 2nd generation  and it supports OpenCL 2.0 (R5/7/9 200 series ))

2) Please try the latest driver from here: Desktop

0 Likes

1) I guess by "definitive and official list/table in the driver release" I really meant "produced and maintained by AMD" rather than a third party website. Would be good to have this listed in future in the driver release notes maybe alongside GL and Vulkan versions that are supported.

2) Thanks, I'll give this a try.

0 Likes

Thanks for your suggestion. I suggested that wiki link because I really find it useful. You can find the official product specification here:

Radeon™ R7 Series Graphics Cards | AMD

Radeon™ R9 Series Graphics Cards | AMD

BTW, a list of compatible devices supported by a driver can be found under the "Supported Products" tab in that driver release page.

Regards,

Thanks for this info. The product specifications don't have a version number next to OpenCL (and also fail to list Vulkan at all btw....) while the driver release notes lack any mention of API versions supported in that driver release (Vulkan 1.0 is mentioned in passing). It really would help to have this information in the driver release notes maybe in a section "Supported APIs".

0 Likes

I tried the latest Crimson driver (whql-win7-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.7.2-july19.exe) but querying the driver gives

Type:        CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU

Vendor:      Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Device:      Bonaire

Version:    OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (2079.5)

Profile:    FULL_PROFILE

for the device details - still only OpenCL 1.2 However, the platform is reported as

Platform Version: OpenCL 2.0 AMD-APP (2079.5)

which suggests it is an OpenCL 2.0 driver being loaded (I've attached the full output of clinfo for reference). Looking at the details of c:\Windows\System32\amdocl64.dll I can see the product name as "OpenCL 2.0 AMD-APP (2079.5) which is right and I can see OpenCL 2.0 entry points

entry_points.png

so I'm pretty sure the DLL I've got is the correct OpenCL 2.0 DLL.

Why at runtime is the driver not reporting that my R7 260X (Bonaire), GCN 2 is OpenCL 2.0 capable??? Please could you pass this to the driver team and get it fixed, please.

I also looked in Radeon Settings under System->Software the OpenCL version is listed as 2.0.6.0 but I don't think this is the API version as for OpenGL the version is listed as 6.14.10.13441.....

Thanks for your continued help.

Hi,

Your clinfo output is not the expected one. Some of the OpenCL 2.0 related fields such as SVM capabilities, device side queue etc. (see below) are missing there. Based on the device capabilities (and also driver), those fields indicate the right values (applicable even for the OpenCL 1.2 devices). For example, please find the attached clinfo files generated with Crimson 16.6.1 for both Hawaii-XT (OpenCL 2.0) and Capverde XT(OpenCL 1.2) devices.

SVM capabilities:

Coarse grain buffer: Yes

Fine grain buffer: Yes

Fine grain system: No

Atomics: No

Queue on Device properties:

Out-of-Order: No

Profiling :  No

It seems that something is messed up in your system or at least not linking the expected DLLs. Please try the below suggestions and share your observations.

1) Please un-install the APP SDK and check the clinfo.

2) If still see the same, completely un-install the driver from control panel and then freshly install the driver and check the clinfo output.

3) If nothing solved, please try above step once without the Intel platform.

Regards,

0 Likes

I completely cleaned out my system (AMD uninstaller doesn't really uninstall much.....) - got rid of OpenCL DLLs, AMD and Intel DLLs manually and manually cleaned out the Khronos registry settings - and removed the SDK and did a fresh install of Radeon-Crimson-16.7.3-With-DOTNet45-Win7-64Bit and it worked! I've now got OpenCL 2.0 on my system.

Thanks for your help dipak

(I've attached the output of clinfo in case anyone else searching for this same problem finds it useful)

0 Likes