cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

tiagosilvestre
Journeyman III

Open cl, how to use it?

Hello every one, i'm a web programmer, a brazilian web programmer and i've been searching about open cl, im reading articles, seeing videos, etc.

But i cant understand what is open cl, how to use it, how to install, how to make a little example.

I have an samsung, with a core i7, ubuntu, nvida optimus.

I want to know these things because i have to make a university work, and im very confused, if somebody can help i will be happy =]

0 Likes
4 Replies
boxerab
Challenger

Try installing the AMD APP sdk, for Ubuntu and try building and running some of the examples:

http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/opencl-zone/amd-accelerated-parallel-processing-app-sdk/

Also, google ?????

0 Likes
natasha
Elite

AMD APP SDK will not help since the desired GPU is from nVidia.

To work with OpenCL on your card, you should install some version of CUDA​. For example, in this book you can read how to proceed further (it contains also installation notes in the appendix). Some useful books may be found, for example, here.

In general, the questions related to nVidia graphics and SDK would be better to ask at nVidia's forum...

Good luck!

0 Likes

Hi Natasha,

Your answer is not correct . AMD and nVidia cards implement ICD client drivers, so AMD SDK will work with nVidia cards. CUDA is a completely different language.

Aaron

0 Likes

Hi Aaron,

Yes, you are right. It should work with AMD APP SDK. I have never thought about this...

But CUDA installation also contains OpenCL tools, beside actual CUDA:

> ls /usr/local/cuda/include/CL/

cl_ext.h  cl_gl_ext.h  cl_gl.h  cl.h  cl_platform.h  opencl.h

> ls -l /usr/local/cuda/lib64/ | grep 'OpenCL'

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    25840 May 25 19:55 libOpenCL.so

0 Likes