cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

tugrul_512bit
Adept III

old gpu as coprocessor

I have a RX550, but also a R7-240 and I want to use old one in my OpenCL projects as a coprocessor but drivers are not letting me use both at the same time, I mean, all programs crash as soon as I run them. Especially OpenCL based softwares. How can I make R7-240 compute-only mode? I want to stop it corrupting Rx550's opengl - directx and even opencl support. I saw nvidia+amd cards working together in a DX-12 game. Why can't amd+amd be used as compute(OpenCL)?

0 Likes
1 Solution

The OpenCL installable client driver (ICD) extension (cl_khr_icd) allows multiple implementations of OpenCL to co-exist on the same system.  An application written against the ICD Loader will be able to access all cl_platform_ids exposed by all vendor implementations with the ICD Loader acting as a demultiplexor. For more  please see this: https://www.khronos.org/registry/OpenCL/extensions/khr/cl_khr_icd.txt

Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Ray_AMD
Community Manager

You cannot, since both GPU's have to be running the same driver version.

0 Likes

Is that because there only 1 opencl.dll that windows can use? Or can I somehow get the opencl.dll of another version and put somewhere else? How does nvidia+amd systems work? Do they have special dll files that support both cards or somehow windows install different drivers for both?

How does an Intel iGPU + nvidia dGPU or Amd dGPU work then? I made my program tested on somebody else and they work for nvidia+intel and also for Hd7870+r7_240 (same architecture).

If some regedit hacking needs to be done, I'm willing to try to make R7-240 + RX550 work together in my OpenCL projects.

0 Likes

Unfortunately, these questions go way beyond the scope of this forum. I'm moving this thread to the Devguruss space where they might be able to help.

0 Likes

Thank you sir. Thank you very much. If there is nothing left to be done later, I guess I will sell my R7-240 for about 30$ on some second-hand forums.

Is RX550 same architecture with RX560 and RX570? Currently their drivers are distinct.

0 Likes

There are separate drivers because these products have just been launched. They will soon use an unified driver package.

0 Likes

Then single unified driver will use any combination of cards from its "support list" for computing, RX550+RX560 in same system? Good.

I wish there were development cards with just 1-2 compute units and cheaper.

0 Likes

The OpenCL installable client driver (ICD) extension (cl_khr_icd) allows multiple implementations of OpenCL to co-exist on the same system.  An application written against the ICD Loader will be able to access all cl_platform_ids exposed by all vendor implementations with the ICD Loader acting as a demultiplexor. For more  please see this: https://www.khronos.org/registry/OpenCL/extensions/khr/cl_khr_icd.txt

Regards,

0 Likes