cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

HarryH
Journeyman III

No image support and OpenGL interop in SDK v2.1 ?

I just installed SDK v2.1 and it seems OpenGL interoperability and image support

are not there for the GPU, only for the CPU. Output of CLInfo atached.

Number of platforms: 1 Platform Profile: FULL_PROFILE Platform Version: OpenCL 1.0 ATI-Stream-v2.1 (145) Platform Name: ATI Stream Platform Vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Platform Extensions: cl_khr_icd Platform Name: ATI Stream Number of devices: 2 Device Type: CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU Device ID: 4098 Max compute units: 4 Max work items dimensions: 3 Max work items[0]: 1024 Max work items[1]: 1024 Max work items[2]: 1024 Max work group size: 1024 Preferred vector width char: 16 Preferred vector width short: 8 Preferred vector width int: 4 Preferred vector width long: 2 Preferred vector width float: 4 Preferred vector width double: 0 Max clock frequency: 800Mhz Address bits: 64 Max memory allocation: 1073741824 Image support: No Max size of kernel argument: 4096 Alignment (bits) of base address: 1024 Minimum alignment (bytes) for any datatype: 128 Single precision floating point capability Denorms: Yes Quiet NaNs: Yes Round to nearest even: Yes Round to zero: No Round to +ve and infinity: No IEEE754-2008 fused multiply-add: No Cache type: Read/Write Cache line size: 64 Cache size: 65536 Global memory size: 3221225472 Constant buffer size: 65536 Max number of constant args: 8 Local memory type: Global Local memory size: 32768 Profiling timer resolution: 1 Device endianess: Little Available: Yes Compiler available: Yes Execution capabilities: Execute OpenCL kernels: Yes Execute native function: No Queue properties: Out-of-Order: No Profiling : Yes Platform ID: 0x7f57aa34d228 Name: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 905e Processor Vendor: AuthenticAMD Driver version: 1.1 Profile: FULL_PROFILE Version: OpenCL 1.0 ATI-Stream-v2.1 (145) Extensions: cl_khr_icd cl_amd_fp64 cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_int64_base_atomics cl_khr_int64_extended_atomics cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_gl_sharing cl_ext_device_fission cl_amd_device_attribute_query cl_amd_printf Device Type: CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU Device ID: 4098 Max compute units: 20 Max work items dimensions: 3 Max work items[0]: 256 Max work items[1]: 256 Max work items[2]: 256 Max work group size: 256 Preferred vector width char: 16 Preferred vector width short: 8 Preferred vector width int: 4 Preferred vector width long: 2 Preferred vector width float: 4 Preferred vector width double: 0 Max clock frequency: 900Mhz Address bits: 32 Max memory allocation: 268435456 Image support: No Max size of kernel argument: 1024 Alignment (bits) of base address: 32768 Minimum alignment (bytes) for any datatype: 128 Single precision floating point capability Denorms: No Quiet NaNs: Yes Round to nearest even: Yes Round to zero: No Round to +ve and infinity: No IEEE754-2008 fused multiply-add: No Cache type: None Cache line size: 0 Cache size: 0 Global memory size: 268435456 Constant buffer size: 65536 Max number of constant args: 8 Local memory type: Scratchpad Local memory size: 32768 Profiling timer resolution: 1 Device endianess: Little Available: Yes Compiler available: Yes Execution capabilities: Execute OpenCL kernels: Yes Execute native function: No Queue properties: Out-of-Order: No Profiling : Yes Platform ID: 0x7f57aa34d228 Name: Cypress Vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Driver version: CAL 1.4.556 Profile: FULL_PROFILE Version: OpenCL 1.0 ATI-Stream-v2.1 (145) Extensions: cl_khr_icd cl_amd_fp64 cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_amd_device_attribute_query Passed!

0 Likes
8 Replies
HarryH
Journeyman III

My mistake, installing the 10.4 driver solved it.

0 Likes

Are there any news on OpenCL image support for other ATI cards? According to the release message (http://forums.amd.com/devforum/messageview.cfm?catid=390&threadid=132814), it should be generally available. However, the "SimpleImage" OpenCL sample program terminates with the message

Error : Images are not supported on this device!

I'm using a FirePro V8700 under Windows 7 (64bit) with the most recent driver for this configuration (8.723). HarryH mentioned driver version 10.4 for the HD 5870, which seems to be available only for the Radeon series. Does that mean that there is currently no OpenCL image support for non-Radeon cards?

Thanks & kind regards,

Markus

0 Likes

Cat 10.4WHQL has a driver version of 8.723. The FirePro 8.723 driver is the same driver with a few tweeks for workstation cards. So with this new SDK 2.1 and the 8.723, you are using

all the correct drivers. Although acording to the download page, support on the v8700 is still beta.

0 Likes

grabner,
The FirePro V8700 is based on the RV770 chip and thus does not support any OpenCL extensions. If you want to use software the uses OpenCL extensions, you need a GPU that is based on the R8XX series of chips.
0 Likes

On my RV770/4850, I get the following extensions.

OpenCL CPU Ext - cl_khr_icd
                             cl_amd_fp64
                             cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics
                             cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics
                             cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics
                             cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics
                             cl_khr_addressable_store
                             cl_khr_gl_sharing
                             cl_ext_device_fission
                             cl_amd_device_attribute_query
                             cl_amd_printf
OpenCL GPU Ext - cl_khr-icd
                             cl_amd-fp64
                             cl_khr_gl_sharing
                             cl_amd_device_attribute_query

I read the main download page and the FirePro V8700 is suppoprted although in beta form.

0 Likes

Further to that, the download page may say that the previous generation is a system requirement and that it is supported, but that does not mean it supports all the features.

Clearly it cannot support all the features that Cypress supports or there would be no innovation in the Evergreen architecture.

The other option would be to add the features to the OpenCL SDK that Cypress supports and lower spec/older cards do not and then say non-Cypress chips are not supported by the SDK.

That would be nonsense. You have to query the device to find out what features a given device is capable of, and that includes the set of extensions the device supports.

ETA: Micah beat me to the basic response and I also added newlines. This page is getting a bit hard to read...

0 Likes

Rik55,
I am sorry for not being clear enough. I was referring to official khronos language
extensions that are listed in the OpenCL 1.0 spec, section 9, that are device dependent.
These include atomics, byte_addressable_store, images, half/double floating point and
rounding mode selection. The extensions for the GPU that you are listing are device
independent or are amd extensions to OpenCL and not official OpenCL extensions.

[Edit] added newlines.
0 Likes

No problem Micah & Lee. I get it. I appologise. I'm so used to other forums where there is so much misinformation. I missunderstood. I though you meant you needed a 5series to run

any OpenCL. Cheers bud.

0 Likes