Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

rlyerly
Journeyman III

Newcomer w/ Power Measurement Questions

Hi fellow developers,

I'm a student studying heterogeneous computing, and in particular, systems software to support transparent execution of compute across various multi-ISA devices.  I'm interested in monitoring power & performance, and am particularly excited about the possibilites of new AMD APUs!

In particular, I'm wondering if AMD exposes any sort of power-measurement API for APUs.  I know CodeXL has power measurement capabilities for APUs, so I'm just wondering if there's a way I can programmatically measure/monitor power.  Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
dorono
Staff

Hi,

If you know your way around low level programming then you can take a look at the public BKDG docs that AMD publishes for its APUs here:

http://developer.amd.com/resources/documentation-articles/developer-guides-manuals/

An easier alternative is the public API for controlling power profiling from user code that will be included in a future release of CodeXL. This should make power monitoring from user code immensely easier than following the BKDG documentation, and should be available soon. Sorry - I can't disclose release schedules, company policy.

Doron

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
dorono
Staff

Hi,

If you know your way around low level programming then you can take a look at the public BKDG docs that AMD publishes for its APUs here:

http://developer.amd.com/resources/documentation-articles/developer-guides-manuals/

An easier alternative is the public API for controlling power profiling from user code that will be included in a future release of CodeXL. This should make power monitoring from user code immensely easier than following the BKDG documentation, and should be available soon. Sorry - I can't disclose release schedules, company policy.

Doron

0 Likes

Hi Doron,

Thanks for the answer!  I have no issues doing low-level programming, I've implemented something like this before.  Could you point me in the right direction though?  I'm using an AMD A10-7850K APU, and as far as I can tell I should be looking at the BKDG for Family 16h Models 00h-0Fh Processors.  I've looked through the table of contents and several sections, but I don't see too much about power monitoring on the CPU & GPU.  Is there a register/set of registers (like an MSR or something) that I can query to get current power information?  Is there a section in the BKDG somewhere that details how to get the power information?  Thanks for your help!

0 Likes