Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

thysol
Journeyman III

Need help writing software for Radeon HD 5870

Hi AMD Developer Community,

I have a Radeon HD 5870. I would like to write a program similiar to Super Pi (CPU Benchmark) for this card. Is that possible with the ATI Stream SDK? I have never programmed GPUs, only CPUs (C, C++) so I am a complete noob with GPU programming. Is it possible to write a multi-threaded program that calculates decimal places after pi with the ATI Stream SDK? Is it also possible to write a browser that runs on a Radeon HD 5870?

Thank you for your help,

thysol

0 Likes
3 Replies
genaganna
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: thysol Hi AMD Developer Community,

I have a Radeon HD 5870. I would like to write a program similiar to Super Pi (CPU Benchmark) for this card. Is that possible with the ATI Stream SDK?

It should be possible to port any algorithem to GPU.  Precision of GPU's are not so good like CPU. ULP's of most operations are more.

I have never programmed GPUs, only CPUs (C, C++) so I am a complete noob with GPU programming. Is it possible to write a multi-threaded program that calculates decimal places after pi with the ATI Stream SDK?

You no need to create thread's. GPU creates for you just by specifying value.

Is it also possible to write a browser that runs on a Radeon HD 5870?

It is possible to write browser but only in C like languages.  GPU's are suitable for computational purpose. I don't think browsers require lot of computation.

0 Likes

Thank you for your help. To progam the GPU, do I need Microsoft Visual studio? I didn't want to spend money on this so are there any alternatives?

0 Likes

you can use gcc with some IDE on linux or MinGW on windows.

or you can use Visual Studio Express Edition which is free at least for noncomercional use. (maybe for comercional use too i am not sure)

0 Likes