Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Meteorhead
Challenger

Mobility Overdrive

why disable?

I would like to know what is the concept behind disabling overclock on mobility line of products?

As far as I know the graphics card can be queried if OC has been enabled ever, so warranty issues can still be sorted out on dead graphics cards even if someone burned it down having it disabled when handed in for replacement.

I do not know if this is a central decesion by AMD or one made by every manufacturer. But it seems strange to me that one does not have the freedom to overclock, at least the high-end equipment based on the cooling. (While clocks are decided regarding misdesigned laptops like MSI gamer notebooks with single coolers hooked to massive GPUs and processors, dual cooled solutions can leave the former setup standing with adequate overclock)

Although my notebook is fit for overclock, even if my manufacturer supported replacement if the reason for malfunction was not melting the GPU onto the card, I certainly invalidated this solution by installing custom made VGA BIOS to enable OC in the first place.

0 Likes
1 Reply
qiuyeanwen
Journeyman III

Overclocking a computer is unable to adapt to many high-calorie ~

0 Likes