cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

computerquip
Journeyman III

Mantle Headers

With the release of the seemingly complete Mantle guide, I'm surprised that there are no distributed headers to go along with it.

The purpose of using Mantle at this stage, with Vulkan and D3D12, is to simply familiarize with modern concepts that OpenGL doesn't contain. With Vulkan being quite close to Mantle, I would also imagine very little having to change from one code base to another.

I realized I can hand generate headers based off the guide. Would there be any issues (legal or morally) with this?

Alternatively, is there any chance headers can be released so I don't have to go through much anguish?

0 Likes
1 Solution
jtrudeau
Staff

And to answer your specific questions....

I realized I can hand generate headers based off the guide. Would there be any issues (legal or morally) with this?

No.

Alternatively, is there any chance headers can be released so I don't have to go through much anguish?

No.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
jtrudeau
Staff

I can point to released information about the evolution of Mantle.

AMD Gaming: On APIs and the future of Mantle | AMD Blogs

And slightly older and more general, so perhaps less useful...

http://gamingbolt.com/the-big-interview-amds-robert-hallock-on-mantle-directx-12-ps4xbox-one-free-sy...

0 Likes
jtrudeau
Staff

And to answer your specific questions....

No.

No.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes

It's kinda sad these headers won't be released by AMD as I'm pretty sure there'll be some unofficial ones buzzing around soon. Seems a rather bizarre decision as the various mantle DLLs are already in the AMD drivers and the specification gives all details of the API.

It's be fantastic to be able to play around with Mantle before Vulcan appears.....

@computerquip If you do start to put together some headers it'd be great to see them posted!!!

0 Likes

It seems likely they cant release the headers because they contain information that they cannot legally released. Probably related to DX12 or Vulkan.