Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

Hill_Groove
Journeyman III

Linux Platforms

without segmentation faults

Hello.

What Linux x64 platforms support OpenCL without problems? I have already tried OpenSUSE 11.2 and Ubuntu 9.10 without any success - i get segfault on samples.

0 Likes
12 Replies
nou
Exemplar

i tryed succesfully ubuntu 9.04 and 8.10

0 Likes

thank you for information. Is there any plans about late versions support?

0 Likes
genaganna
Journeyman III

Originally posted by: Hill_Groove Hello.

What Linux x64 platforms support OpenCL without problems? I have already tried OpenSUSE 11.2 and Ubuntu 9.10 without any success - i get segfault on samples.

Hill_Groove,

are you able to run CAL samples on OpenSUSE 11.2?

are you able to run OpenCL samples with CPU on OpenSUSE 11.2?

0 Likes

genaganna

I checked CAL 32, 64 and CL 32, 64 samples (couple of each type) and got segmentation faults. There is also a probability that i did something wrong 😃 but i followed the instructions strictly.

I've just done the same on Ubuntu 9.04 and everything seems to be in order now.

0 Likes

Hi,

I tried to run the CAL samples on OpenSUSE 64 an Ubuntu 8.10/64

Nothing worked (segfault).

0 Likes

Martín Steen,

As i've understood, the simplest way is to install one of declared platforms - OpenSuse11.0 or Ubuntu 9.04. On the other hand, nou said it should work on Ubuntu 8.10, so it is possible there is a mistake in installation.

0 Likes

Hi,

Did anyone try to compile the sample SDKs with g++ version 4.1.2 (SUSE Linux)? If yes please let me know.

I get the following error. while compiling

../../../../../lib/x86_64/libOpenCL.so: file not recognized: File format not recognized
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Thanks in Advance

0 Likes

gcc MUST be 4.3 or later.

0 Likes

Same here, seg faults and screen "twitches", but no running.....

0 Likes
dgolden
Journeyman III

Beta 4  works for me on debian/unstable. Yeah, "unstable", but hey it's a dev box not a server.  Running stock debian kernel linux-image-2.6.31-1-amd64 - after adding kernel boot option "nopat" so fglrx's PAT implementation is used rather than linux's - you want it saying something like this in dmesg:

• [  145.067568] [fglrx] Kernel supports PAT but it has been disabled
  • [  145.067570] [fglrx] Using driver built-in PAT support instead
  • [  145.068761] [fglrx] Driver built-in PAT support is enabled successfully
0 Likes

Thank you dgolden so much!

With your "nopat" trick everything is finally working here - archlinux x86_64 with kernel 2.6.32-bfs (but it should work good on every kernel) and with catalyst 9.12 hotfix http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICatalyst912Hotfix.aspx (havent tested it on previous opencl supp drivers)

Yeeaaah

0 Likes
newtrack4
Journeyman III

I have the ati-stream-sdk-v2.0-lnx64 running on the Gentoo Linux platform.

I use kernel amd64 2.6.30-r5 and ati drivers 9.11.  I do get segfaults on the examples if I don't boot with the "nopat" boot option.

My video card is a ATI4650 card.

I know I should use version 9.11 of the ati drivers but I initially had problems getting a stable system with those drivers which I probably fixed by adding some different kernel configuration options. I will try the ati 9.12 drivers again.

I have only run about 8 of the examples so far, but they all seem to work.

0 Likes