cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archives Discussions

madsbuvi
Adept I

Kernelanalyzer refuses to compile anything

Whenever I've tried to use the kernelanalyzer for the past few days, it will refuse to compile anything, even simple test kernels, without any errors in compiler output and nothing but "Error compiling OpenCL kernel" in object code. However, it will say "OpenCL Compile Error: Can't find the IL for <any target>" if i compile a source with no __kernel functions. If i add the __kernel flag back the compiler will again stop giving any output.

I've tried following the steps suggested in http://devgurus.amd.com/message/1282388 which fixed a very similar problem for someone else.

However i still get the problem, and i have never used any beta drivers.

Adding the option "-fbin-amdil" did not help.

I am using

Driver Packaging Version    9.002-120928m-148276C-ATI

Catalyst Version    12.10

AMD APP SDK 2.7

AMD APP KernelAnalyzer 1.12.1288

I was using Catalyst Version 12.6 when the problem began, but the steps followed in the discussion i linked should have wiped all traces of this,

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
14 Replies
settle
Challenger

I just recently upgraded my driver from Catalyst 12.8 to 12.10 and now I'm experiencing the same problem as you, same versions and all.  As far as I can remember it worked fine with Catalyst 12.8.  Did you find any solution?

0 Likes

I'm afraid i haven't found a solution, no.

0 Likes
kalyanpk
Staff

Hi,

For the snap-shots, looks like you are still using KA 1.0 version.

We have a newer version of KA i.e. 2.0 available.

Its actually packaged with CodeXL as a zip file.

You can download the same from the following location:

http://developer.amd.com/tools/heterogeneous-computing/codexl/#download

- Kalyan P

Thank you for the response!

Kernelanalyzer 2 works, but it doesn't generate any statistics or GPU ISA (only IL). Statistics i could get through CodeXL but ISA is nowhere to be found. I understand from the program's help documents that when viewing performance counters i should be able to click on the kernel's name in the first column to view this. But performance counters appear without being sorted into columns (which also makes it hard to see what number belongs to what counter), and nothing can be clicked (see attached)... using the 64bit version for windows 7.

Also. Perhaps you should put it up next to the old kernel analyzer, so people can see there is a new version?

0 Likes

Hi madsbuvi,

Are you using Catalyst 12.9, 12.10 or 12.11 beta? There is a known issue with CodeXL and these driver versions preventing the display of ISA. See .

Doron Ofek

Advanced Micro Devices

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

0 Likes

Hi

I was running driver 12.10.

But going back to 12.8 did not help, CodeXL still behaves the same.

You mentioned in another thread that CodeXL 1.0 is coming soon, i think i'll await this version and post again if the problem persists.

Also, i cannot follow your link since access is restricted.

0 Likes

Hi,

The link I included is to a post in the CodeXL forum. Access to this forum is free for all but requires registration.

CodeXL 1.0 is indeed coming soon and I believe it should resolve this issue. Please let us know if otherwise.

Doron Ofek

Advanced Micro Devices

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

0 Likes

Hi,

Downgrading CCC i.e. bringing the CCC version to 12.8 from 12.10 is sometimes tricky.

can you please check the AMD OpenCL runtime version  after downgrading CCC to 12.8(it will be present in "clinfo")?

For CCC 12.8, it should be 923.1

In CodeXL, when you run "GPU: Performance Counters" profile, are you still seeing the "module hyperlink not present" and "columns not being listed" problems that you reported earlier? If YES, by any chance are you using a localized (non-English) OS install?

Thanks,

Kalyan P

Hi, thanks again!

Making sure the OpenCL driver got downgraded as well by manually swiping DLLs helped most errors.  Both kernel analyzer versions now work correctly and generate both statistics and ISA. I did the same when i followed the post i linked in the OP, however i guess i swiped it to upgrade to 12.10 reintroducing problems...

However, YES, the "module hyperlink not present" and "columns not being listed" problem persists.

My windows version is an english copy given to me by my university, NTNU. I am not aware that it is localized in any way.

But it does generate ISA which i can access through "open containing folder" and statistics i can view with proper columns through openings the .csv file in open office.

Thanks again for the help! I guess this can be marked as solved

0 Likes

I have similar problem on Tahiti GPU

http://imageshack.us/a/img841/1964/clipboard01hz.png

"Analysis with installed driver is not yet supported". Sounds not good

I'm using 12.11 beta, but I tried 12.10 and got the same.

0 Likes

Hi vladimirl,

You are using a very old version of KernelAnalyzer with latest version of catalyst (12.11 Beta).

That's the reason you are seeing this issue.

Please download the latest version of KA i.e. "AMD APP KernelAnalyzer2", which is packaged with CodeXL.

You can download CodeXL from: http://developer.amd.com/tools/heterogeneous-computing/codexl/#download

This should resolve all the issues you are facing.

Thanks,

Kalyan P

0 Likes

Thank you! This helps. But why not to remove the older version from download page (or whole page, if now it's a part of new product)?

0 Likes

That's the plan.

But it will take a while to replace the older download page.

Thanks,

Kalyan P

0 Likes

Hi Vladimir,

Actually, KA1.12 and KA2.0 will continue to co-exist for a while. The reason for this is that not all KA1.12 functionality has been ported into KA2.0, which uses a different architecture internally.

KA1.12 provides kernel statistics and analysis for AMD GPU families up to and including Northern Islands.

KA2.0 provides kernel statistics for AMD GPU families up to and including Southern Islands, but currently does not provide analysis. Analysis of execution on Southern Islands GPUs will be added in an upcoming version. For analysis of execution on earlier GPU families KA1.12 should be used.

0 Likes